Alex
Santa Cruz

Munich

Things to do during Oktoberfest that don't involve eating or drinking

I can only have so much bier and Bavarian food!  Are there any other things that I should do outside of Oktoberfest festivities?  It's my first time in Munich, so I'd really like to explore what else the city has to offer, whether it's an activity or sightseeing.

Ryan from Redondo Beach

If you're there at the right time you should check out a FC Bayern Munich game at Allianz-Arena. The BMW Museum is pretty cool with lots of old cars!

1. Allianz-Arena (attraction)
  2. BMW Museum (attraction)

Megan from Winston Salem

If you have time, take the train to visit Neuschwanstein Castle just outside of Fussen. It's stunning, and there are some nice hiking trails nearby that give you a gorgeous view of the castle and surrounding hills and mountains.  In Munich, St. Peterskirche church also has a lovely view from the top of the cathedral overlooking Marienplatz. 

1. Fussen (city)
  2. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)

Brandee from Menlo Park

Just in case you haven't gotten enough beer and schnitzel, my favorite place is the Hofbräuhaus -- an absolute must for huge beers and schnitzel.

Another thing that I have to recommend is the Dachau Concentration Camp about an hour train ride from Munich. It's incredibly moving and sad, but an important monument to remember the events that happened.

1. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
  2. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)

Laurel from Munich

I'd also recommend the Munich Residenz.  Bavarian royalty lived here for over 400 years and the self-guided audio tour lets you take as much or as little time as you would like. Plus, it's located in the center of Munich is easy to get to.

1. Munich Residenz (attraction)

Aron

I would recommend Mike's Bike Tours, they do a great job of pointing out some great sites and end in the english gardens. Along the way you will see the Eisbach where people surf.

I would also recommend  Dachau Concentration Camp and the Olympiapark.

1. Mike's Bike Tours (attraction)
  2. Eisbach (attraction)
  3. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)
  4. Olympiapark (attraction)