Jesse

Munich, Europe, Brussels, Amsterdam, Zurich, Prague

Oktoberfest 2015 8-Night Itinerary

In the very beginning stages of planning a trip to Oktoberfest next year.  Leaving from NY, would like to visit at least 1 other city before heading to Munich where I'm thinking we'll spend 3-4 nights. Considering Brussels, Amsterdam, Zurich, Prague... Open to suggestions!

Any good tips, hotels/trains/sites/restaurants/tent recommendations appreciated. We're a small group in our late 20s looking to travel on the less expensive side but not down an dirty. Just trying to gather some information and see what some good itineraries might be. thanks!

Alex from London

Hi Jesse,

I think your best bet is to start looking for international flight options and then plan from the hub you are arriving/departing from -- remember that if you look for flights within the same airline group (eg Star Alliance or One World) you can often choose to arrive and depart from different cities for a similar price.

Once in Europe, the best way to travel is either via cheap airlines such as Ryanair, EasyJet, AirBerlin, Wizzair, Nordic, etc, or by train.  The rail connections in Northern European countries is excellent, that basically covers Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria and Czech Republic.

Within Germany:

One of my favourite (and surprisingly cheap) cities in Europe is Berlin. Of course it has incredible historical sites. Yet it also has a burgeoning arts and food scene incomperable to other German cities.  I would highly suggest this as an option.

Additionally, Berlin is easily accessible to Munich via rail, and you can even make a quick stop in Leipzigon your way, to break the journey.

The Netherlands:

You mentioned Amsterdam and, of course, it is a great option. Amsterdam is a fun and welcoming city, great for a relaxed group trip. You could spent two days there and then slowly make your way to Munich via train, passing stunning Cologne (small city, great cathedral) and Nuremberg on the way.

Czech Republic:

If you fly directly into Munich then Prague is an awesome option.  The city is one of the most beautiful in Europe and great for slow leisurely sightseeing.  Take note though, Prague can get pretty expensive if you stay too closely to the tourist trail.

In terms of accommodation, if you are traveling in a group, consider renting a whole house on airb&b as that will save you on hotel prices, especially in Munich during the high October season.

Lastly, you may find my blog post about Oktoberfest useful, it covers a few things to do in and around Munich too: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/62515974161/oktoberfest-2013

Good luck planning and just shot over a message if you need any details on how to get transport sorted, or details about any city, etc.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Munich (city)
  3. Leipzig (city)
  4. Amsterdam (city)
  5. Cologne (city)
  6. Prague (city)
  7. Nuremberg (attraction)

Kenneth from Germany

Hey Jesse,

I live and have lived in Bavaria for some years now...  Is there a reason why you want to go to Oktoberfest?  I was going to say there are other Bavarian fests that are far less touristy and have all the same attractions...  Even The Fallfest in MUC is on the same fest grounds...  --If you go and are looking to avoid crowds during the week is better and the final and first weekends are usually the busiest.  Oktoberfest is a lot of fun, but I felt Straubingfest nearby was just as good and less expensive...  You may even want to book a hotel near the Allianz Arena and take the train in... 

SInce you are close Prague is an amazing city and very close...  Also Salzburg is a beautiful Austrian city nearby or pretty much anywhere in the Alps.  I think Prague is the best city for a late 20 year old group of all the cities you mentioned.  Hope this helps. 

1. Allianz Arena (attraction)
  2. Prague (city)
  3. Salzburg (city)

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

Hey there Jesse! 

I am a born and raised Canadian from Toronto and now living in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany. 

I went to Oktoberfest Munich last year in 2013 and it was a blast, you will love it. On a side note, here's some tips I put together to surviving a full day there without vomiting haha http://giveforgranted.com/2014/06/how-to-last-a-whole-day-at-oktoberfest/

I would suggest you visit Freiburg/The Black Forest for a beautiful hike, some local black forest cake and ham! It's nice because the city is also 30 minutes from Strasbourg, France and 45 minutes from Basel, Switzerland (the photo above)! 

I hope this helps! :D

1. Toronto (city)
  2. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  3. Strasbourg (city)
  4. Basel (city)

Ignatius from Braunschweig

Hi Jeese,

well, considering that your visit to Munich will be Beer-centered, why don't you make a stop somewhere with awesome food? You may spend some time in Spain, at the seaside, for example San Sebastian. Some of the best restaurants in the world are there, and September is still warm enough to spend some time at the beach.

David.

1. San Sebastian (city)

Martin from Redruth

If you fancy enjoying the last of the summer rays why not consider Barcelona, it's incredibly easy going and great for young travellers.

1. Barcelona (city)