Melissa
Portland

Munich

Free things to do in Munich?

I have plans to travel to Munich next month and I spent a lot of money this holiday season, so I'm kind of on a budget! So what are the best free things to do in Munich, or at least on a budget?

Peter from Munich

If you are a bit into cars you can visit the BMW World BMW Weltclose to the Olympiapark.

This tour is for free and with clear skies, you get to see different things through the telescope every Tuesday and Friday night at the observatory in the Deutsches Museum. The tour is for free and with clear skies you get to see diffrent things through the telescope.

More Info here: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/exhibitions/natural-sciences/astronomy/observatory/observations-at-night/

Go to the Nymphenburg Palace a beautiful park and palace.

1. BMW Welt (attraction)
  2. Deutsches Museum (attraction)
  3. Nymphenburg Palace (attraction)

Ignatius from Braunschweig

Hi! Are you going with more people? If you are in a group of 3-5 you may buy a "Bayern Ticket", it is a 1 day ticket that let's you use the regional train network, subways and buses in whole Bavaria, you can go as far as Salzburg or Königsee with it. Very useful for short trips near by. 

Cheers 

David

1. Salzburg (city)
  2. Königsee (city)

Stephen "Sven" from Florida

Munich has some of the best museums in the world. There is a lot of history. If that is to much then you should look into some of the local Volksmarch or Peoples Walk. You can get to see local scenery, spend time with local people and enjoy local food and beer at the end. Some of the better things to see are found in some of the towns around Munich.

Lindsey from Texas

I loved the SANDEMANs NEW Munich Tours! My friend and I stumbled upon a free walking tour of the city, joined in, and it was a blast. Our guide was young, hilarious, and extremely knowledgeable. We got to "get a feel" for the city by walking it so much, plus we learned all kinds of super fascinating details about the city--little things we would've walked right by had someone not pointed them out to us. I'm not a history person, but it was GREAT.

Also, their beer tour was a blast, and a great way to meet people from all over the world :).

1. SANDEMANs NEW Munich Tours (attraction)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Melissa!  I love Munich!  What a fantastic city!  Some of the free things that my wife and I enjoyed, were strolling around the Englischer Garten if the weather is nice.  Also, make time to check out the Marienplatz, and check to see if there are any activities, or festivals going on.  My wife and I were there when a drag concert was going on and the atmosphere was really fun!  Eisbach Wave is where river surfing was claimed to be invented.  It's fun to watch the river surfers for a little while too.  I would also go up and check out Olympiapark, which was the site of the 1972 Olympics.  Lastly, I would recommend a sobering, but necessary trip to Dachau Concentration Camp.  I believe it's free to enter and only costs if you want a tour, audio guide.  Hope that helps and safe travels!

1. Englischer Garten (attraction)
  2. Marienplatz (attraction)
  3. Eisbach Wave (attraction)
  4. Olympiapark (attraction)
  5. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)

Bill from Detroit, Michigan

The Glockenspiel is everyone's favourite.

1. Glockenspiel (attraction)