Colleen
Opelika

Munich, Prague

Best places to stay in Munich, Prague and Vienna?

Does anyone have suggestions on good places to stay in these cities?  I would like to be somewhat close to attractions but really more interested in taking in the local culture and cuisine. Thanks!

Jeff from Portland

Prague, I have stayed both in old town and right across the Charles Bridge, both are great and you cant go wrong. I default to AirBNBs in the area because you get more for your money and better locations typically.

Munich, This one is a little trickier, staying in the ring is preferred and I like the north side of the Marienplatz or the east side behind the old church. When you get west of the ring, it is still a transitional areas mixed with hostels, strip clubs, businesses that seem closed, etc. It has been 5 years since I was there. The area around the train station is supposed to be getting better and we are staying right in that area on our trip in the fall.

Vienna, we are staying right next to the Naschmarkt, but anywhere in that area or around the Opera House is supposed to be great as well. We are doing an AirBNB here as well as it was amazing location (2 blocks from the Naschmarkt) and was only around $85 per night for an entire flat. 

1. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  2. Marienplatz (attraction)
  3. Naschmarkt (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

Hey Colleen!  I just got back from both Munich and Prague 1 month ago.  We only stayed in Munich for 1 day, at Sheraton München Westpark Hotel.  It was nice and the metro was right across the street.  If we had stayed longer, I would have probably looked for something closer to the tourist parts of Munich, but the metro was very easy.

In Prague, we stayed for 6 nights.  I would highly recommend checking out Airbnb and staying in Prague 1 near Staroměstské náměstí (Old Town Square).  We stayed at a great apartment about a 5 minute walk from OTS.  The following link is to the host we stayed with, Peter https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/17882002 . He has several properties, speaks perfect English, is very professional, and is literally available for questions, to schedule transportation or whatever at all times.  I would highly recommend staying with him.

1. Sheraton München Westpark Hotel (hotel)
  2. Staroměstské náměstí (attraction)

Antoine from Ħal Balzan, Malta

For Prague there are plenty of places in the city centre that are conveniently located. The public transit system is very good so as long as you are within walking distance of a metro (subway), you should be fine. I've stayed at the IBIS in the Anděl district which is near the metro station of the same name; friends have stayed at the Jurys Inn Hotel, Prague City Centre which is close to the Florence metro stop.

For local food, try Lokál Dlouhá which is a relaxed pub/restaurant that's quite good. Nothing fancy, but good hearty food.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Anděl (attraction)
  3. Jurys Inn Hotel, Prague City Centre (restaurant)
  4. Lokál Dlouhá (restaurant)