Maroun
Boston

Maroun from Boston asked

Where should I get my clothes tailored and custom suits made? What information should I bring with me?

In three days I will be leaving for a five week adventure across India. I've heard that it's the best place to get your clothes tailored as well as custom suits made.

I'm planning on having a blazer made as well as a full suit. What kind of information should I bring with me? A picture/fabric selection of the suit I want? Where do you recommend I go to get this done? If not specifically what are things to look for for high quality tailors that do this?

Mumbai (India)   Bangalore (India)   Agra (India)

Prasad from India

Delhi is a better place to  get your suits made compared to Mumbai purely from a weather point of view. As Mumbai is always hot you may not get the choice of fabric you may be looking for Boston weather. 

In both cities the best choice would be to go to a The Raymond Shop or Bombay Dyeing showroom for quality yet not very expensive stuff. In Delhi you can go to Mohan Singh Place in Connaught Place for real cheap suits made on order or  pick from ready made ( The operative word  here is CHEAP ).  But for real good stuff you need to try some of the high end retailers like Diwan Saheb, Narang Sons, Mohanlal & Sons, etc. You can carry some pics of the design you want and the tailors will make it for you exactly you want. 

1. The Raymond Shop (attraction)
  2. Bombay Dyeing (attraction)
  3. Mohan Singh Place (attraction)
  4. Diwan Saheb (attraction)
  5. Narang Sons (attraction)
  6. Mohanlal & Sons (attraction)

Nice!  While I've never had clothes custom tailored made for me in India, I have in other Asian countries and it's a treat!  I never plan on it, but sometimes I walk by places with nice clothes and go "why not?".  Since I don't ever plan on it, I don't bring reference photos with me, but they typically have something on display that caught my eye and they always have catalogs of all the latest runway trends from European designers that they can recreate.  Since you're planning on it, maybe you can look through magazines and the internet for suits and blazers to get some ideas and bring them with you.

My experience in China was that you go early in the morning, pick out a style either that they have on the rack or in a catalog, pick out the colors and type of fabrics, and they take your measurements, then you can pick it up in a few hours or at the end of the day.

I found my tailoring places by sheer luck.  Hint: the tailoring places that I went to were always stands or stores inside of huge very industrial-looking clothing and accessories warehouses/malls (I've seen these all over China, Thailand, etc.  I'd imagine them to be abundant in India, too).  I would wander in because something caught my eye.  I would try on a couple of things (typically jackets since some of these places don't have fitting rooms) and see how they fit, and inspect the stitching and tailoring for quality, then inquire about whether they do designs and/or tailoring and how they charge, and go from there.  Go to a few places before you make your decision.  Oh, and remember to haggle, but since it's custom-made, not too much. (don't want them doing a bait and switch and skimping on the quality and workmanship because they're upset that you haggled ;)

Have fun and good luck finding a place!

Maroun
Thanks for the response Debbie! I'll be sure to bring in some pictures with me of what I want. :)

You're welcome! :)

Stalone from London

You have to try out SS HOMME!

These guys are on another level - above any tailors or menswear designers in India. From everything from the aesthetic, design & guidance, by far the most professional team I've met. I got 2 suits tailored, and they fit me like a glove - very contemporary style!
The only use English or Italian wool & only work by prior appointment. But you will definitely not be disappointed.

Check out their website - www.sshomme.in  for more information on the brand. 

Aqueel from Mumbai

need to bring pidtures and you can go to  Colaba Causeway and also could go to  Red Fort 

1. Colaba Causeway (attraction)
  2. Red Fort (attraction)
Naveen from New Delhi

Hi Maroun,

This article will help you find the best tailors in Mumbai http://bpbweekend.com/services/mumbais-handiest-tailors

In Delhi also there are a lot of very good tailors, specially in  Connaught Place.

Cheers!

1. Mumbai (city)
  2. Connaught Place (attraction)