Courtney

Mumbai

What neighborhoods to avoid

Are there any neighborhoods in Mumbai that I should really try to avoid? I mean in terms of considering where to book a hotel, walk around by myself, etc. I'll be traveling solo for part of my trip and want to make sure I don't end up somewhere unsafe. Thanks!

Mariellen from Toronto

Hi Courtney, I travel extensively alone in India and publish a travel blog called Breathedreamgo full of tips for travel in India, especially for women. In Mumbai, I like to stay in Bandra and feel very safe there (though the usual big city precautions apply). Check my blog for travel stories about Mumbai.

Personally, I don't think New Delhi is any less safe than Mumbai. The only time I suffered a theft was in Mumbai, at the Mahalaxmi Temple.

1. Mumbai (city)
  2. Bandra (neighborhood)
  3. New Delhi (city)
  4. Mahalaxmi Temple (attraction)

Jean

Walking is not done a lot in Mumbai, except in  Powai. If you are on business, then get a driver. He will make sure you don't end up in a bad spot. Your biz contacts here could arrange, as could any hotel where you would stay. 

1. Powai (neighborhood)

siva from India

South Bombay ( Mumbai) is the best place to feel and understand the real Mumbai. There are youth hostels available at this place and very popular shopping streets with a rich heritage. the Marine Drive/marine lines is a great place for a walk and has a good a connectivity with all other places in Mumbai. 

1. South Bombay (neighborhood)
  2. Mumbai (city)
  3. Marine Drive (attraction)

Faizan from Mumbai

There is nothing to be feel unsafe in Mumbai.  

Just try not to be seem that you are complete stranger.  

You can choose any of the places which so many peoples recommended to you.  

Just try to stay in contact with any good local friends.

1. Mumbai (city)

deeksha from India

Hi Courtney 

You should stay in South Mumbai that is town side. Even though it will be a bit more expensive but definitely safer. U could find good hotels around colaba or even marine drive.

1. South Mumbai (attraction)

Jaskaran from Chandigarh

Mumbai (unlike Delhi) is a rather safe city to be in and you may be safe (albeit uncomfortable) at most places in the city at any time of the day or night.

That being said please take all the necessary precautions that you may take in any other big city (London, NY, Rome, Paris, etc.) Avoid dark alleyways and shady corners. Stay near a crowd or group of people. 

A good tip is to know where the nearest Suburban Network Station is near you. Stations are more like urban centres with shops, ATMs, and the like at almost all stations. The major ones even have restaurants and are open all night (for eg. Andheri BandraBombay Central Dadar) (because they handle long distance traffic as well). The Suburban trains don't ply between the hours of 1 and 4 (depending upon where in the city are you). However all stations will have police (:mostly reliable) manning them to some extent 24X7. They should be able to sort you out in case of any eventuality. 

Stay Safe! And ping me if you need any more tips about Bombay. Cheers!

1. Andheri (attraction)
  2. Bandra (neighborhood)
  3. Dadar (neighborhood)
  4. Bombay Central (attraction)

Hariharan from Fremont (California)

Avoid staying at areas like Kurla, Byculla, Mahim

1. Kurla (attraction)
  2. Byculla (attraction)
  3. Mahim (attraction)