Dominic
Princeton (New Jersey)

Dominic from Princeton (New Jersey) asked

Safest parts of Mumbai and lodging recommendations?

If all goes well, I'll be in Mumbai next winter and I need to book lodging—I haven’t the foggiest idea what neighborhoods are safe and which hotels to stay at—can someone advise me? I definitely don’t want to end up in a really bad neighborhood! 

Mumbai

Shrirang from Pune

By and large, Mumbai is safe if you don't intend to be overly curious. The rule of thumb is this - If you book a hotel which costs more than INR 4500 per day, you can assume that hotel is safe. The upper limit of hotel tariff can easily run into multiple dozens of thousand rupees per day, but, that does not mean that the hotel is that much safer though :-). Let me still name some neighborhoods which are considered conservative by local standards - Dadar, Sion, Vile Parle, Andheri, Chembur, Ghatkopar. There are many others, but, you can safely book a hotel in these areas. Also, as you go southwards in Mumbai it tends to get more and more expensive. For example, the hotels like Taj (old and new both), Oberoi, Sun and Sand etc. can be very expensive. Most of them are in the south.

In Mumbai, staying in the central area like Dadar, Mahim would be better so that you can move around easily.

By the way, how many days do you plan to stay in Mumbai and what would you like to see? Accordingly I can suggest many more things. Following are the things that you should see while in Mumbai

1. An evening walk by Nariman Point (queen's necklace)
  2. Elephanta Caves
  3. Gateway of India
  4. A half day walk in southern area around Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Just the building of CST station is very beautiful
  5. Taste seafood in the local joints
  6. A walk in the markets of Mumbai (it is recommended that you do this with somebody who is local in Mumbai. Doing this alone is NOT recommended)
  7. Haji Ali Dargah

If you can give little more details as to how many days do you have and what you would like to see, may be, I can suggest few things around Mumbai.

Courtney
Awesome answer!

Dominic
I agree with Courtney. Very very helpful Shrirang. Thank you for the suggestions on neighborhoods and for throwing in the suggestions for what to see. I appreciate it!

1. Dadar (neighborhood)
  2. Sion (attraction)
  3. Vile Parle (attraction)
  4. Andheri (attraction)
  5. Chembur (attraction)
  6. Ghatkopar (attraction)
  7. Mahim (restaurant)
  8. Nariman Point (attraction)
  9. Elephanta Caves (attraction)
  10. Gateway of India (attraction)
  11. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (attraction)
  12. Haji Ali Dargah (attraction)
Krishna from Hyderabad

Stay around Juhu Beach where you get a decent experience of the sea view along with the crowd(decent neighborhood). It is also the most attractive beach in Mumbai and one of the most frequented beaches by foreigners coming to Mumbai

Juhu Beach, Marine Drive and Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus area are the places where u can find many malls, urban designer stores, shopping complexes & some small boutiques too

Regarding hotels: Check these

Novotel Juhu
Hotel Tip Top Plaza
Grand Sarovar Premiere

If you want to enjoy some luxury in stay try this site www.tajhotels.com

Note: In general metro cities are always crowded in india. You can move to Navi Mumbai if you want to completely stay away from the city.  But staying out of mumbai doesn't give you the full experience of what mumbai is all about.

Dominic
I don't know about luxury, but I'll look up the other hotels that you mentioned! Thank you for your advice Krishna!

1. Juhu Beach (attraction)
  2. Marine Drive (attraction)
  3. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (attraction)
  4. Novotel Juhu (hotel)
  5. Hotel Tip Top Plaza (hotel)
  6. Grand Sarovar Premiere (hotel)
  7. Navi Mumbai (city)
Ahmed from Giza, Egypt

Hi Dominic, i have been to Mumbai more than 4 times, the best place to stay in is the area of Colaba Causeway there you will find the favorite cafes, restaurants and hotels that are full of tourists , this area in Mumbai seems like the best choice by tourists, you can find variety of hotels in the area ranging from low to high budget the area also is close to some sightseeing like Gateway of India, Taj Mahal Palace, and Elephanta Caves.

Dominic
Thank you, Admed!

1. Colaba Causeway (attraction)
  2. Gateway of India (attraction)
  3. Taj Mahal (attraction)
  4. Elephanta Caves (attraction)
Praveen from Mumbai

Avoid staying in South Mumbai as it can be very expensive. You will get good hotels near the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport area. If you can indicate the budgets have you, I can advice a few names as well. Thanks!

Dominic
Do hotels there get very expensive? Anywhere I go, I'd like to spend less than $150 a night if possible, so if you have any questions, that would be much appreciated! Thank you Praveen!

sai tarun from India

Powai or Mulund West close to Thane is a safe and good to hangout in my knowledge. i lived there for a while for a training.

Dominic
Thank you for the suggesitons Sai Tarun!

1. Powai (neighborhood)
  2. Mulund West (neighborhood)
  3. Thane (city)
Ashish from Mumbai

Mumbai is a great place. u could stay at Marine Drive to enjoy the fabulous sea. The Oberoi is the best place to stay in Mumbai.

Dominic
Thanks, Ashish!

1. Mumbai (city)
  2. Marine Drive (attraction)
  3. The Oberoi (hotel)
Pankaj from Gurgaon

Bandra is nice

Dominic
Thanks, Pankaj!

1. Bandra (neighborhood)
Petric from India

Safest Part is mumbai is V Navi Mumbai One of the best place and lodging  Lokhandwala best place..

1. Navi Mumbai (city)
  2. Lokhandwala (neighborhood)