Zach

Mumbai

Can I eat street food in Mumbai?

Can I eat street food in Mumbai? Obviously, I do not want to catch a parasite. Know of any places that are clean and safe?

Christina from New Delhi

Definitely, you can. But don't drink the water they provide. Buy a mineral water it will cost just 20 bucks (Rupees). Prevention is better than cure. Also, if you are foreigner to here then ask to make it less spicy. :)

Surajit from Mumbai

It's dangerous for foreigners to try and take on Mumbai's bugs! I can recommend one place which is relatively clean and safe. It is the Elco Restaurant pani-puri shop in BandraHill Road.

You could try the pani puris (Panipuri) or ragda pattice (Ragda pattice) or the famous bhel puri (Bhel puri).

1. Elco Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Bandra (neighborhood)
  3. Hill Road (attraction)

Gaurav from Mumbai

Yes everyone is afraid of getting parasite by eating street food. The choice is your's. Best places I can suggest is Ram Bhau Vada Pav at CST Road, Pani Puri at Gandhi MarketMatungaMohammed Ali RoadJuhu Chowpatty

1. CST Road (attraction)
  2. Pani Puri (restaurant)
  3. Gandhi Market (attraction)
  4. Matunga (attraction)
  5. Mohammed Ali Road (attraction)
  6. Juhu Chowpatty (attraction)

Shrirang from Pune

I would recommend not. You can consider going to restaurants like Kamat's Food Corner or Ramkrishna More Natyagruha

1. Kamat's Food Corner (restaurant)
  2. Ramkrishna More Natyagruha (attraction)

Janelle from Charleston

I haven't been to Mumbai, but I've eaten plenty of street food throughout the globe.  Good judgment is the best tool to prevent getting sick.  Use your nose and especially your eyes.  If a vendor's setup looks dirty and smells bad then give it a miss.  If there's a long line then it's a good bet because that means (1) food is cooked to order and not left sitting out and (2) it has a good reputation among locals.

Travellers coming from first world countries (e.g. the USA) often get sick their first few days in a third world country because our pampered snowflake stomachs aren't used to the different hygienic standards in places like India.  There's no real way to avoid it...you're about as likely to get an upset stomach and a bit of the runs from a Michelin star restaurant in Mumbai as from a street vendor.  But don't let that stop you...eating street food is part of the experience and a great way to experience the culture of India or wherever else you go.

However, the water is a different story.  If you drink tap water or ice, or eat uncooked food washed in it in India you WILL get sick.  So stick to bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth, avoid ice and raw veggies that can't be peeled, and avoid smoothies or other beverages mixed with tap water.

Lastly, if you want to avoid getting a parasite don't swim in the hotel pool.  Public pools are unsanitary no matter where you go.

Duncan from London

Yes totally. Go for the items which are deep fried, such as potato patties. I can reccomend this article and https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/mar/01/10-best-street-food-mumbai-india and Vada Pav @ Anand Nagar from it. Or opposite Pheonix Mall entrance there are some good vendors off a side street. Really they are everywhere. Deep fried is safe for sure. I also never had any issues with masala tea from the stalls. Delicious.

1. Anand Nagar (neighborhood)
  2. Pheonix Mall (attraction)

Amit

Yes u can eat but depends on ares which area are looking now .

Nickol

yes

Dimpesh

Yes, although make sure it's hygienic. Don't eat anything too oily or too spicy. Rest is fine :)  

Manjunath from Bangalore

Yes...! you can get great street food Anywhere in Mumbai

1. Mumbai (city)

Andy from Mumbai

The street food in Mumbai is nothing to write home about. It's mainly Vada Pav (a burger with a potato patty) and other unhealthy fare. Some things you can try is Pav Bhaji at Sardar Pav Bhaji (near Tardeo bus Depot), seafood at Trishna (in Fort), steaks in Cafe Royal (Colaba) etc.

1. Mumbai (city)
  2. Sardar Pav Bhaji (restaurant)
  3. Trishna (attraction)
  4. Cafe Royal (restaurant)