Mountain View

What's the best neighborhood in Mountain View for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Mountain View and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Mountain View is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Rachel from London

Like other answers here, I agree that Mountain View is hardly a destination, but if you will be staying there, I would suggest finding a hotel close to Castro St, somewhere between El Camino and Central. It's a cute downtown area with a ton of restaurants and walkable shops, and convenient to both Caltrain and VTA. I don't know if it will give the "authentic" Mountain View experience, as that is for the most part commuting to a job elsewhere, but it's a nice destination within the city itself:

1. Castro St (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

Mountain View  is a small bedroom community, think San Fernando valley, maybe Reseda. It has large office parks with Google buildings. I am not sure why you would stay in Mountain View unless you were interviewing at Google. In that case ask HR which hotel they recommend. Palo Alto  has a lively downtown and Stanford. San Francisco is even more interesting. So Mountain View doesn't have a lot going for it. Maybe you will discover something great about it. Enjoy.

1. Mountain View (city)
  2. San Fernando (attraction)
  3. Reseda (attraction)
  4. Palo Alto (city)
  5. Stanford (attraction)
  6. San Francisco (city)

Aghast

Kind of a boring bedroom community.  It does have a downtown area, that I only went to for lunch when I worked there.  I couldn't begin to tell you about the hotels since I live in the santa clara valley.  

There isn't much of a mountain view in Mountain View.  If you want some place with more lively downtown, probably nearby Palo Alto or Los Gatos further away.  Or for real night life, downtown SJ or SF.

I've lived most of my life in the SCV, even came back after college to work and live here.  But nowadays, a lot of tech industry worker will put up with a long commute with traffic to live in SF.

Where you want to stay depends on where you want to go (if coming for work) or see (if coming for tourism).  There are hotels located near the big companies here which have a lot of business travelers as guests.

If you're coming to tour, I'd stay closer to SF, more to see (iconic views of the bay and bridges) and do up there.  I'm not even sure what the big attractions in the SCV would be.  A lot of Asian tourists go on buses which stop at the Apple campus and they take pictures of the outside.  There are some nice venues for concerts and hikes around the Santa Cruz foothills near Saratoga and Los Gatos but there are more stunning hikes north of SF in Marin county.

1. Mountain View (city)
  2. Palo Alto (city)
  3. Los Gatos (attraction)

Pushkar from Mountain View

I would suggest choosing a place on AirBnB. Downtown is on Castro St and is quite literally the center of Mountain View. Shoreline Park at Mountain View is nearby and can be accessed via Stevens Creek Trail (~5 miles to the lake). Shoreline Lake offers kayaking and sailing.

1. Castro St (attraction)
  2. Shoreline Park at Mountain View (attraction)

Brian from Mountain View

There are a ton of hotel options in the Mountain View area (especially on El Camino). My parents have stayed at Hotel Strata a few times and loved it. Most recently they stayed at the Stanford Park Hotel (in Menlo park about 15 minutes away), and I LOVED that hotel. What are you trying to see/do around here?

1. Hotel Strata (hotel)
  2. Stanford Park Hotel (hotel)