Diane asked

I need Locals Advise

Best place to eat Dinner? Best place to Stay with a small dog. This is for a one night stay on a road trip to Florida

Mount Vernon (Illinois)

John from Chicago
With a population of about 15,000 people, Mount Vernon (Illinois) is not exactly a stop with tons of options. If you really need to stay there, I'd recommend you check out The Frosty Mug Bar & Grill for something unique. Otherwise, it's going to be mostly the usual chain restaurants.
If you have the budget, I'd probably go for Drury Inn & Suites Mt.Vernon or Comfort Suites. Call ahead to check on their pet policies, some hotels require a non-refundable deposit.
If you're driving to Florida on a long road trip, I would suggest you try to arrange your timing so you can stay in either St. Louis or Nashville. Those will have a lot more options for both hotels and restaurants.