Miriam
Seattle

Mount Everest, Nepal

Best view of Mount Everest from Nepal?

Where can we get the best view of Mt. Everest when I visit Nepal? I would love to actually visit a base camp as well if that is possible. Does anyone have any information on how that could be arranged?

Jake from Los Angeles

Andrea and Claus both had good answers. You can literally fly into Kathmandu, go to Thamel and find a gazillion people organizing treks to Everest Base Camp III. We met a couple who organized it through our hostel for the very next day for around 800-900, flights to Tenzing-Hillary Airport included. 

I did it independently with one friend and one person we met on TrekkingPartners.com. We went up to Gokyo Ri, then crossed Cho La Pass in Sagarmatha National Park, and then finally up to Kala Patthar Summit, and then came straight down the "fast way." It took us about 10ish days with our hike starting from Lukla Airport (and that's decently quick, considering altitude adjustments).

I think Gokyo Ri had the most majestic Himalayan skyline with Everest. Kala Patthar was simply closer and bigger with less skyline!

If you have more time than 12ish days, you can skip the flight to Lukla (though its exhilarating!) and take a long bus ride to another starting point, but prepare to tack on about 5-6 more days.

It is truly a great experience and there are a ton of ways to make it happen. I'd recommend searching for travel blogs with info on the trek... there are tons!

Note: The flight RT from Kathmandu to Lukla and back was about $330 for me.

I attached 3 pictures. The one "of Gokyo Ri" is actually from the top of Gokyo Ri facing Everest in the distance. The one "of Kala Patthar" is actually from the top of Kala Patthar facing Everest (which is the second "highest" peak in the picture). The one "of Cho La Pass" was a view from the top of Cho La Pass on our way down... I loved Cho La Pass!

After Cho La Pass:

From Gokyo Ri:

From Kala Patthar:

1. Kathmandu (city)
  2. Thamel (attraction)
  3. Everest Base Camp III (attraction)
  4. Tenzing-Hillary Airport (attraction)
  5. Gokyo Ri (attraction)
  6. Sagarmatha National Park (attraction)
  7. Kala Patthar Summit (attraction)

Andrea from Truckee, California

Most people fly into Kathmandu and get hiking gear in Thamel. There are great knockoff jackets and other gear that are really well made. Try the 2nd hand shops first for some good deals. You can arrange for a trekking trip to base camp in Kathmandu when you get there or ahead of time. Either way you will need to fly to Tenzing-Hillary Airport and where you can begin hiking to base camp or travel to Gokyo Ri for some amazing views of Everest. 

1. Kathmandu (city)
  2. Thamel (attraction)
  3. Tenzing-Hillary Airport (attraction)
  4. Gokyo Ri (attraction)

If your time is limited then you have flights from Kathmandu that takes a few hours around Mount Everest. Just be aware that these flights are not cheap.

If you want to trek to barecamp then you will need to trek for quite a few days. The tough trekkers walk all the way from Kathmandu to Basecamp but most people fly to Lukla and then trek to Everest Base Camp from there.

1. Kathmandu (city)
  2. Mount Everest (city)
  3. Lukla (attraction)
  4. Everest Base Camp (attraction)

William

1. Tengboche Monastery (attraction)