Jillian

Most pet-friendly airline?

Okay, animal lovers... you know who you are! What are the best airline experiences you've had with your pet?

From bookings to the actual flight, what airline made you and your pet most comfortable? I've recently started flying with my dog and I want to make sure I'm choosing the most pet-friendly airlines out there. I'd love to hear your stories!

Elaina

I actually work for Southwest Airlines. And as long as your dog can fit in the pet carrier you'll be good. Now it has to be able to move around inside the pet carrier. But if you don't have one you can always purchase the carrier at the airport. They're $45 and you know you'll be good to fit it under the seat in front of you.. It's $95 each way for your pet to travel. But at least it's with you in the aircraft rather than in cargo. It does count as one of your bags that you are taking on board so just take note of that! Hope that helps!!

Katharina from Hong Kong

There are a few European Airlines that are very pet-friendly. So in case you don't fly to/from or within the USA, the following list might help:

I can highly recommend Lufthansa(headquarter at FrankfurtFrankfurt Airport). They even have an Animal Lounge at Frankfurt Airport in case you have a longer stopover.

Swiss Air (headquarter at Zurich Airport is also know for their pet-friendly service and like Lufthansa you are allowed to take small pets into the cabin.

Turkish Airline (headquarter at Istanbul Ataturk Airport) also allows small pets into the cabin but they are more expensive than Swiss and Lufthansa.

If you want to get a good overview of prices and methods of transporting pets on all major airlines, the website dog jaunt has an updated and comprehensive list.

1. Frankfurt (city)
  2. Frankfurt Airport (attraction)
  3. Zurich Airport (attraction)
  4. Istanbul Ataturk Airport (attraction)