Jason

Jason from New York City asked

Safety in Moscow?

How Safe/Unsafe is Moscow?

I found a ridiculously good deal for three days in Moscow around mid-March. I want to make sure it's worth visiting.

Moscow

Janine from Seattle

There is no sign of tension for tourists, you should be fine. People go about their daily lives there despite the conflict.

Abramov
During the day watch for your pockets alot of robbers, after 6 don't use public transportation since it's dangerous for a girl

Jason
I appreciated the feedback. Thanks.

Oleg from Moscow

If you are going to be staying in or around the city centre, you'll be fine. I have lived in Moscow for 2 years now, and whenever I have run in trouble, it was on the outskirts of the city (in its poorer parts), never in the centre.

Most young people have a decent grasp of English, so anyone dressed like a hipster would be glad to provide directions. :)

If you are worried about police getting on your case and demanding bribes, that shouldn't happen either. They seem to largely target folks from Caucasus and Central Asia, in a local take on racial profiling.

Just keep your valuables close when you're in the metro, and try not to find yourself too far away from the centre late at night. In that sense, Moscow is no different than any other European capital.

I hope you come visit and have a good time. It's much better than what media have been showing lately.