Pat
Clermont-en-Argonne

Morocco, Egypt

Morocco or Egypt in December?

I am going back to visit my family for Christmas back in France and I would like to hop to North Africa for a few days between Christmas and NYE. I hesitate between Morocco (Marrakesh - Agadir - Mezouga to experience a night in the desert) or Egypt (I have always wanted to ride a camel at the pyramids of Giza...). I will definitely have to do both, but which one to start with? Is one making more sense than the other this time of year?

Thanks for your help!

Philippe from Pepingen

Hi Pat,

I am biased as I travel on a regular basis to Morocco and just love the country and the people... Different than Egypt and also two different cultures... But since you're off to France it would make sense to go to Morocco no ? Closer by and better connections.

In December I would definitely go to the South.

Start in Marrakech (don't stay too long) and then travel to Merzouga via Skoura and come back via Agdz and definitely stop at Aït Benhaddou

If you like the coast and are not afraid of local small towns with the real thing then do visit Mirleft and travel down the coast to Sidi Ifni

Have a good trip !

1. Merzouga (attraction)
  2. Skoura (city)
  3. Agdz (city)
  4. Aït Benhaddou (attraction)
  5. Mirleft (attraction)
  6. Sidi Ifni (attraction)

Brahim from Marrakech

Morocco is very safe, open society, modern yet has the the fell of old, MarrakechFezChefchaouenMerzougaOuarzazateEssaouria

1. Morocco (attraction)
  2. Marrakech (city)
  3. Fez (city)
  4. Chefchaouen (city)
  5. Merzouga (attraction)
  6. Ouarzazate (city)
  7. Essaouria (city)

Abigail from Hong Kong

I don't think it matters too much where you decide to go just based off personal preference. One is not better than the other during that time of year but I say go for Egypt! If riding a camel is something you have always wanted to do, then go for it. It's worth it!

1. Egypt (country)