Gina
Minneapolis

Morocco

Morocco—Recs for the High Atlas and the Sahara?

Hi all,

I'm kicking around the idea of heading to Morocco and I'd love to hear your impressions. It's totally pie in the sky for us at the moment, but I like to gather information and then think on it for a while. It'd be my husband and I traveling together. We travel independently and like to keep to a modest budget. Trip length would be two weeks or so. 

So, here's what I'm thinking: As far as cities go, our main interests would be Chefchaouen (a little out of the way for the rest of what we want to do, I know), Fes and Marrakech. Beyond that, we'll want to get out into the High Atlas to some Berber villages and into the Sahara to see the dunes. We prefer small villages where we can experience local culture as opposed to multi-day treks out into the mountains. Camel treks or overnights in the desert have a strong appeal to me as well.

Any tips, recommendations or general impressions of those areas would be very welcome!

Shireen from Hong Kong

Hi Gina!

I suggest you make your way over to Medina and wander through all the spice markets and local vendors. Have some mint tea and then head to the mountain town Chefchaouen. Closer to Tangier-Tetouan. Beautiful place.

Visit the Archaeological Site of Volubilis. UNESCO site that I think would be worth visiting. 

1. Medina (attraction)
  2. Chefchaouen (attraction)
  3. Tangier-Tetouan (state)
  4. Archaeological Site of Volubilis (attraction)

Ross from Fort Collins

Everyone skips Tangier but it's a blast! All the beat righters were there and it has a real laid back vibe! Grab a Bowles book and enjoy the most popular Moroccan export!

1. Tangier (city)

Vit from Marrakech

Chefchaouen is really nice and if you make small trak over the city to the mountains you can take a selfie with marihuana fields all over you 😎😃😉

If desert go to Merzouga. Dunes are more spectacular than in Zagora and M'hamid

Think about Essaouria. Really nice place and about Ait Ben Haddou. Part of UNESCO and you may know from movie Gladiator etc.

You can do it in two weeks. 

Enjoy it 

Vit

1. Chefchaouen (city)
  2. Merzouga (city)
  3. Zagora (city)
  4. M'hamid (city)
  5. Essaouria (city)