Iulia
Sibiu

Morocco, Marrakech, Atlas Mountains

Is it safe in Morocco nowadays, especially the Atlas mountains?

I'm planning to visit some cities in Morocco including hiking in Atlas mountains in April. Is there any real threat regarding terrorism in remote areas, maybe closer to Algeria? The ministry of foreign affairs classifies it as potentially dangerous destination.

Thank you ^_^

Rosanna from Aalsmeer

Hey!

I just got back from Marrakech, and I can tell you, no need to worry! Sometimes you see some soldiers on the square, but, never felt unsafe!!

The people there are very nice. Even though they are poor, they don't steal. The homeless don't even look at your wallet on the table when they beg for food or something else.

I have been to the Atlas Mountains as well, but only 2 times with a organized tour. Same story. The people were very nice there.

Just go! 

1. Atlas Mountains (attraction)

Vit from Marrakech

Hi, I have been living in Marrakech for 6 months already (I'm from Czech R.) and I can say that Morocco is safe country in regards to talk about terrorism and attacks against tourists. The local government and people are really serious about it so you will see from time to time, check points on the road with police and soldiers standing on the street.

However being a woman traveling alone, you should follow this rule: be safe than sorry. I really don't suggest to you to travel alone to the desert. Be sure there are people around you all the time, no matter if they are tourists or locals. The great thing about local people is when they see tourists (especially women) in trouble they can be really helpful. But you must let them know you're in trouble or you will be just another girl followed by her local lover. You must understand that local guys can be really persuasive and persistent and no is not an answer for some of them. From time to time, some of the women guest in our hotel are followed by a local man for whole day. But please don't get me wrong, you really should to visit Morocco because it is a beautiful country where you can, in one week, climb Mt. Tugg Kal (4176m), swim in the sea or learn to kite surf and at the end of the week you can ride a camel in the Sahara desert and sleep under the night sky. Not many countries around the world like that :-) . If you want I can give you some safety tips.

1. Marrakech (city)
  2. Tugg Kal (attraction)

Philippe from Pepingen

Hi Lulia, I traveled the Southern Atlas and all the way down to the desert close to the Algerian border in April last year. No problem at all. The border has been closed for years and is guarded at several points. We often travel to Morocco - 2/3 times a year - and feel very safe. Moroccan people are very friendly and the country has been classified as the 3rd most welcoming country in the world. Just show respect for their customs, learn to know them and you'll definitely have a good trip. As they say over there: trek salama ! ("good road").

Miriam from Seattle

I know there were some issues last year with terrorists being caught there but you really should be fine. I just checked and there aren't any travel advisories against it for Americans. I really think you'll be OK.

Nomade

Hi Lulia,

Yes Morocco is a safe country. you have nothing to worry about. Visit the Atlas mountains and spend a day with a berber family and get to know about their way of living, i do recommend this operator "Morocco Caravan Tours"  find the tour here http://morocco-caravan-tours.com/berber_trail_atlas_mountain_day_tour.php

1. Morocco (country)
  2. Atlas mountains (attraction)