Sarah
Calgary, Alberta

Morocco

How long in Morocco?

We are two canadian girls in our early twenties excited to take on Morocco! We have 11 full days there, planning to spend them in Fes, Marrakesh, and Chefchaouen! Just wondering if anyone had any advice on the length of time to spend in each city, or Morocco in general (we will be heading to Italy afterwards). Thanks so much!

Sally from Los Angeles

Hi Sarah!

I went to Morocco last year and was there for a week. We flew into Casablanca, and I spent one day in Rabat (which was enough), about a a day and a half in Fes (not enough, definitely should have extended to 2-3), a day trip to Meknes and Archaeological Site of Volubilis (enough) and 3 days in Marrakech which was a good amount. In Marrakech, three day was enough to explore both the old and new city and to do some shopping. I would recommend the same amount for Fez. 

We took a bus from Meknes to Marrakesh (overnight), and it was about 7 hours. If you're planning on getting from the Fez area to Marrakesh, please note that it will take a good chunk of a day (unless you're planning on flying). 

I think depending on what you would like to do there, you should adjust your itinerary accordingly. We only did cities, but I regret not doing a desert tour in the Atlas mountains. You can arrange a tour there that involves camping, camel-riding, and traditional meals. I would allocate a couple of days at least for this. I do also wish I went to Chefchaouen, but my understanding is that it is small enough to see in 1-2 days. f you're interested in doing somewhere beachy, I've heard great things about Essaouria as well (check the weather first!)

All in all, I think 11 days should be a good amount of time, but depending on your to-do list, a couple of extra days can't hurt either.

Have a great time! Morocco is awesome. 

1. Casablanca (city)
  2. Rabat (city)
  3. Fes (attraction)
  4. Meknes (city)
  5. Archaeological Site of Volubilis (attraction)
  6. Marrakech (city)
  7. Atlas mountains (attraction)
  8. Chefchaouen (attraction)
  9. Essaouria (city)