Katharina
Vienna

Morocco

Does anybody have experience travelling through Morocco by rented car?

my trip is planned a week, 10 days most

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Yes.  I had an amazing experience by car in Morocco.  We left  Marrakech then drove through Ouarzazate, to  Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou (which is one of the most amazing Kasbah's and a Unesco world heritage site,  Gorges du Dadès, the dunes near  Merzouga which are huge 250 meter dunes that you can hike up and camp near... we stayed in a guesthouse called La Gazelle, which was run by Berbers and very interesting.  There were also some interesting oases nearby.  From there, we drove up to the Atlas Mountains to  Meknes, which is an interesting place (we just drove through and didn't spend the night, then on to Fes before ending in  Rabat.  One of the more amazing trips of my life.  The varying landscapes, the people you see and meet, etc. were incredible.

1. Marrakech (city)
  2. Ouarzazate (attraction)
  3. Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou (attraction)
  4. Gorges du Dadès (attraction)
  5. Merzouga (city)
  6. Meknes (city)
  7. Fes (city)
  8. Rabat (city)

Tony from Seattle

For what it's worth, the bus system in Morocco is outstanding and the parking in Morocco is pretty terrible.  And traffic in the cities is pretty insane.  If you drive, I think you'll have a great adventure, but it might add limited joy for the expense/headache....  And busses can be pretty adventurous, too.

My wife and I were just in Morocco for 3 1/2 weeks and had a blast bussing all around the country.  For us the highlights were:

• Fez - Stay in the Medina (you'll have to walk to your Riad/Dar).  Spend a lot of time wandering there and hanging out at  Cafe Clock (which has great camelburgers and cooking classes).
  • Merzouga - The only reason to go here is to head into the Sahara.  Do an overnight camel trek and sleep under the stars.
  • Essaouira - Gorgeous seaside medieval town (it was used heavily for parts of Game of Thrones).  WAY more relaxed than most of Morocco, so a great place to rest up from your adventures.
  • Oualidia - An even more chill seaside town with a neat lagoon and great beginner surfing.
  • Tinghir - The Todra gorge is stunning.  Staying at the  Auberge le Festival (a gorgeous inn pictured and described here) was a highlight.

We did a pretty useful wrap-up writeup of our Morocco travels here:
http://www.50millionsteps.com/so-you-want-to-travel-to-morocco/

(there are links to posts about all of the above destinations)

1. Fez (city)
  2. Merzouga (city)
  3. Essaouira (city)
  4. Oualidia (city)
  5. Cafe Clock (restaurant)
  6. Auberge le Festival (hotel)
  7. Tinghir (city)

Nizar from Rouen

I've been travelling through Morocco by rented cars for years, you can easily find renting agencies in most of the cities and airports !

You can even book your car online and have it delivered at the airport. www.c-rent.ma 

I think Morocco is most enjoyable with a car, because of the freedom in planning your trip and the spots you want to visit, and because you can get a real insight at the culture and locals outside big cities, but mostly because it gives the chance to find amazing places. On my trip to Dakhla, from Marrakech, i had the chance to have breakfast in a beautiful watefall place named "Paradise Valley" near Agadir, And then stop for lunch in an unknown beach in the Sahara, Before finding an amazing place to spend the night -we were just passing by it- in Tan-Tan, a small city in the western sahara. It was a sort of camping place, with a restaurant and library, a nice small place, run by very kind people, we spend the night out with some travellers we met there, and in the morning we headed for Dakhla. Everything went well and the car helped a lot to discover new places and just wonder instead of plannig every step, and the road was okay. 

Hope you enjoy your stay in Morocco. 

1. Dakhla (attraction)
  2. Marrakech (city)
  3. Agadir (attraction)