Kent
Bandon, Oregon

Morocco

Advice for First Time Adventurers in Morocco

A friend and I are traveling to Morocco for 10 days flying into Marrakech. We're both into experiencing the culture, food, and surf scenes while there. We're both adventurous souls having met in the jungle of Peru. Any advice on experiences off the beaten path that would give us a taste of Morocco in 10 days? 

Robson from Istanbul

Hi Kent,

Me and my wife spent 20 days in Morocco last May.  
Even that some places sounds too "touristy" , you should not miss them :

Marrakech
Jemaa el-Fnaa this lively square caught us. It's a mix of smells, sounds & images that you cant get bored. We tried several food stalls and our favorite is the number 26, in a corner near the stalls selling snails.
Jardin de Majorelle this garden is an oasis to escape from the buzz of the Medina.
Medersa Ben Youssef this islamic college has amazing carvings!
Musee De Marrakesh just beside of Madrasa, also really beautiful. ( buy the combined ticket, it's cheaper)

Desert - There are several tours departing from Marrakech, your Hotel/Riad can arrange it. ISuggest to get a private tour with guide. 
Make sure that the tour will pass by Gorges du Dadès and Ouarzazate  Incredible places!

Essaouria
This small village has a really laidback atmosphere. Camels & kitesurfers share space in the beach :)
Around Essaouria you will find several surf spots! 
The old city was used as set for Game of Thrones! 

We didnt liked much of Fes, understand that the city is really important on Moroccan history but I would not return.

We stayed 1 day in Azrou near Fez and loved the city, it's used as base to explore Parc National Ifrane  Wish we had more time to enjoy the park.
I  would suggest 3 days in Marrakech, 2 in the Desert, 3 in Essaouria and 2 in Ifrane National Park.

Enjoy!!!
ps. Bargain for everything!

1. Jemaa el-Fnaa (attraction)
  2. Jardin de Majorelle (attraction)
  3. Medersa Ben Youssef (attraction)
  4. Musee De Marrakesh (attraction)
  5. Gorges du Dadès (attraction)
  6. Ouarzazate (city)
  7. Essaouria (city)
  8. Fes (city)
  9. Azrou (hotel)
  10. Parc National Ifrane (attraction)

Tania from New York City

We were in Morocco for 14 days and traveled north to south, east to west. But we were also working and filming. I would keep the trip on a sort of horizontal scale.

3 days in Marrakech,3 days in Essaouriaand 3 days through the Haut Atlas to Merzouga for an overnight stay in the Sahara.Check out Booker Travels for Morocco tips and videos, part of a season that ends this weekend. 

For surfing, drive south of Essaouira: Sidi KaoukiImsouane, Boilers and Killer Point.

1. Marrakech (city)
  2. Essaouria (city)
  3. Haut Atlas (attraction)
  4. Merzouga (city)
  5. Sidi Kaouki (attraction)
  6. Imsouane (city)
  7. Boilers (attraction)
  8. Killer Point (attraction)

Kelly from Boulder

My favorite city to visit in Morocco was Essaouria. It is a beautiful and interesting city but not as overwhelming and crazy as Marrakech. I really enjoyed a camel ride there as well as just wandering around the medina. Another thing I enjoyed was a trip up into a mountain village outside of Marrakech. Our hotel found a guide to take us and I can't remember the name of the village, but the drive in the mountains was really beautiful and it was interesting to see such a different way of life. I didn't have a chance to explore the desert, but it looks really cool and I would definitely add that to the itinerary if I go back to Morocco. I thought the food in Morocco was a let down, so I don't have any advice on that.

1. Essaouria (city)
  2. Marrakech (city)

Vit from Marrakech

If you want to visit places off the beaten path, leave Marrakech ASAP :-) . It's not that bad..... The best you can do is rent your own car if you only have 10 days. Second option is to travel by local buses. Sure, you can pay a local agency to arrange everything for you, but you will visit the same places like other people. 

But my suggestions:

This is enough for 10 days.....

If you go to Merzouga, go by car or bus to Fés and choose the road from Merzouga to Errachidia. Magnificent view of the valley with palmerias. 

1. Marrakech (attraction)
  2. Merzouga (city)
  3. Aït Benhaddou (city)
  4. Taghazout (city)
  5. Fés (attraction)
  6. Errachidia (city)

Justin from Portland, Oregon

I've seen photos from a spot called Boilers that make it look Incredible. The right is comparable to Malibu on a good day and It's on my bucket list.. Alas, I can't speak first hand.

1. Boilers (attraction)