Thom
Philadelphia

Thom from Philadelphia asked

Montreal Trip with Teenage Son

I want to give my son another world experience within driving distance from Pennsylvania.  My son is 15.  What are the must see/must do in Montreal and what are the off-the-beaten track things to see/do?  Hotel/B&B recommendations are also welcome.

Montreal

Veronica from San Francisco

La Banquise Resto is my favorite place to get poutine, though I'm sure many people would offer their own suggestions! They have many non-traditional kinds that I'm sure a 15yo would die for :)

The Biodôme de Montréal is also wonderful, agree with the top commenter! 

1. La Banquise Resto (restaurant)
  2. Biodôme de Montréal (attraction)
Patrick from Rotorua

Depends on the time of year you go up to Montreal.

definitely stay in a b&b in Old Montréal so you really get the European feel. I would go to the Biodôme de Montréal to get an idea of the fauna and flora of Montreal, then the Quartier des Spectacles where they have the jazz festival, Île Notre-Dame (Montreal is actually an archipelago of islands) where they have GPF1. Best way to explore, rent a bike and get a day pass for public transport, super safe. Take a stroll through Quartier Chinois / Chinatown on a Saturday or Sunday morning for delicious dim sum, got to Parc olympique de Montréal for a stroll and visit former Olympic installations. Visit Mont Royal, designed by holmsted, same architect as Central Park. Basilique Notre-Dame in old Montreal is a beautiful sight and so is Oratoire Saint-Joseph / Saint Joseph's Oratory. Take the nightlife of Boulevard Saint-Laurent and some shopping on Rue Sainte-Catherine, the largest shopping artery in Canada. Do not forget Petite Italie / Little Italy and Marché Jean-Talon.... There are restaurants everywhere and great sights to see all around the city...

Mikael from Montreal

It's not so off the beaten tracks, but if he's 15 he should definitely enjoy an afternoon at La Ronde Amusement Park (a Six Flags amusement parc).

If you can be in Montreal on a Sunday, between may and october, you should take him to the Tam-tams on the Mont Royal (in the Parc Jeanne-Mance). Definitely something to see.

1. La Ronde Amusement Park (attraction)
  2. Mont Royal (attraction)
Riku

Eat Poutine at one of the legendary places (http://www.amontrealerabroad.com/best-poutine-in-montreal/). Some good ones there. Walk up the mountain, it's nice. On Sundays there's all kinds of stuff happening on the Avenue du Parc side of the park/mountain.

1. Avenue du Parc (attraction)
Justin

a good site with off-the- beaten track things to do....  http://www.thrillist.com/montreal

John

Biodôme de Montréal - no ifs ands or buts

1. Biodôme de Montréal (attraction)