Sara

Montreal

Art destinations in Montreal in the early Spring

Going to Montreal in April for a weekend. I don't speak any French. Will that be a problem?

Where is a cheap clean place to stay?

What destinations can you recommend for seeing contemporary art?

Kim from Canada

Nope, Montreal is very bilingual. People may ask you questions or assume you speak french at first but a quick "in english?" and they will switch very quickly. 

Art is great in Montreal! Montreal Museum Of Fine ArtGalerie Leonard & Bina Ellen art GalleryGalerie de l'UQAMArtexte Centre D'Information En Art are all bigger established galleries but pick up any weekly paper when you get there and see what exhibits are on at the time and hit up any that peak your interest. As an artist myself every time I head to Montreal I visit Papeterie St-Armand (La) to watch them work and pick up supplies. 

For where to stay in Montreal I'm always a fan of finding an apartment or flat on Airbnb. Central hotels are expensive or run down, and there are so many affordable and cute flats and connecting with the Airbnb hosts you can ask them for some local recommendations and hot spots. 

1. Montreal Museum Of Fine Art (attraction)
  2. Galerie Leonard & Bina Ellen art Gallery (attraction)
  3. Galerie de l'UQAM (attraction)
  4. Artexte Centre D'Information En Art (attraction)
  5. Papeterie St-Armand (La) (attraction)

Colleen from Canada

In Montreal you will almost always be addressed in French first in businesses, which is politically correct. As others have said, most people you deal with will quickly switch to English. Since we never know which language will work best, there is often a bit of language hesitancy, but most people will go out of their way to help you out.  

Le Plateau area is young and hip and has lots of the outdoor staircases Montreal is famous for.  

The major museums are great but the galleries always provide the best place for information and discussion about featured artists. I believe the Montreal Museum Of Fine Art still has it's rental gallery and provides info on artists 

I love Vieux-Montréal / Old Montreal galleries and Avenue Greenein Westmount.

Have a great trip

1. Montreal (city)
  2. Le Plateau (neighborhood)
  3. Montreal Museum Of Fine Art (attraction)
  4. Vieux-Montréal / Old Montreal (attraction)
  5. Avenue Greene (attraction)
  6. Westmount (city)

Roxanne from Montreal

Montreal is very bilingual, so no problem if you don't speak french espacialy if you stay in the centre of town.

For contemporary art you'll have to go at the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (contemporary art museum) but also do the arts galaries inRue Notre Dame Ouest and Rue Saint Paul Ouestin Vieux-Montreal betwen Boulevard Saint-Laurent and Rue McGill

1. Montreal (city)
  2. Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (attraction)
  3. Rue Notre Dame Ouest (attraction)
  4. Rue Saint Paul Ouest (attraction)
  5. Vieux-Montreal (attraction)
  6. Boulevard Saint-Laurent (attraction)
  7. Rue McGill (attraction)

Marie-France from Toronto

I'm from Montreal and go back every year. Everybody who works with the public has to speak both French and English. So unless you go knocking on a random door on the East side of town, you shouldn't have any problems. :) Actually pretty much everybody on the street will know some English because we have to learn it in school (and the anglophones have to learn some French). The west side of town is more anglophone, and the east side more francophone.

At the risk of suggesting the obvious, you can visit the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal : http://www.macm.org/en/

1. Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (attraction)

Janine from Seattle

Hotel Les Suites Labelle is a good choice. It has what you are looking for, clean and cheap and I thought it was a nice place. 

1. Hotel Les Suites Labelle (hotel)