Rhonda
Gretna, Virginia

Rhonda from Gretna, Virginia asked

Is it better to stay in Monterey or Carmel?

I have done numerous searches for good rates in Monterey & Carmel for the END of our 2 week trip to CA. I have found that lower rates 'can' be found in Monterey, even with a Jazz Festival going on.  I have found somewhat reasonable rates even in Carmel.  I have found the Stevenson Monterey at good rate (newly remodeled with good reviews) & The Dolphin Inn & Coachman's Inn (Carmel) "ok rates" too.  Could someone help me make this decision..which area, which place to stay?  Need to get this done asap...thank YOU! 

Monterey (California)   Carmel (California)

Fritzi from San Francisco

Yes, I agree that Carmel is the better choice.  It's more scenic and relaxed.  The address of the Monterey property is "motel row," which, while not very far from anything, is not a very picturesque part of Monterey.

Remember when you are visiting Monterey peninsula, nothing is very far from anything else.  But Carmel has been preserved, protected and maintains its charming vibe throughout.  Hope you enjoy your trip.

1. Carmel (city)
  2. Monterey (city)
Josh from Baton Rouge

My choice would definitely be Carmel.  The town is just so picturesque.  I could literally go everyday and sit for hours at the Sunset Loungelistening to the grand piano and watching the sea otters below as the waves crash against the rocks.

1. Carmel (city)
  2. Sunset Lounge (restaurant)
Johnny from Las Vegas

In my opinion if you have the choice to stay in Monterey or Carmel in the cost difference isn't very much, I would definitely stay in Carmel. Monterey has the aquarium and such but Carmel is a whole town chock-full of artsy stores and shops and galleries, etc, so you'll probably find a lot more to do in Carmel

Rhonda
Thank you..for your reply. I've heard Carmel is so quaint and neat..and beautiful! It's going to cost but..may just do it anyway..first time to CA..who knows if it'll happen again! Long trip, but I can't wait!!