Andrés
Montevideo

Montenegro, Slovenia

While in Croatia... Montenegro or Slovenia?

Hi all!!

While being in Croatia, would you rather spend 2 days in Montenegro or Slovenia??

Let's hear it...

Jack from Davis (California)

If you enjoy the outdoors, I would definitely choose Slovenia. It features a well-established tourist infa-structure for hiking, swimming, boating, and camping. Lake Bled is great. Slovenia is safe and beautiful, similar to Austria but less expensive. Montenegro, in comparison, is just getting developed. Many parts on the coasts are scenic, but some interior parts are rather impoverished. More exotic, more like the Balkan experience that you would get in Serbia.

1. Slovenia (country)
  2. Lake Bled (attraction)
  3. Serbia (attraction)

Toni from Croatia

If you're in northern part of Croatia (Istra or Kvarner Gulf), go to Slovenia. If you're in Dalmatia, go to Montenegro. There's a lot more to see in Slovenia for sure.

1. Istra (region)
  2. Kvarner Gulf (attraction)
  3. Dalmatia (region)

Janine from Seattle

Montenegro for sure! Some of the nicest people Ii've ever met. 

1. Montenegro (country)

Jacqui from London

Hi Jack! 

Montenegro is a beautiful part of the world. 

We passed through Montenegro on a road trip through the Balkans last September. We started at Plitvice Lakes National Park in north Croatia and stopped in Mostar on our way into Montenegro. We stayed overnight in Kotor Old Town (Kotor Stari Grad), which I highly recommend. It's a beautiful bay and has some swimming spots nearby. 

(Check out my tips on what to do and where to eat: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/kotors-stari-grad-old-town-and-fortress/

We also stopped off in Bar for lunch, but we found it to be very touristy. 

Friends we know stayed in Kamp Grad in Grab. They loved it and said "the staff are awesome, its in the middle of nowhere, the surroundings are the best". 

Near Grab is Tara - think beautiful mountains and canyons with walks, hikes and whitewater rafting. I've heard these guys are good: http://www.raftingmontenegro.com/ 

We didn't stay long in Montenegro, but we did spend three days at a camp site in Lake Skadar in north Albania. It was plenty of fun and quite off the beaten track if you are in to that thing. 

I hope this helps :) 

You can check out our whole camping road trip on my travel site: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/our-camping-road-trip-in-the-balkans/ 

Feel free to ask me any questions! 

Cheers, 

Jacqui 

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
  2. Mostar (city)
  3. Kotor (attraction)
  4. Bar (city)
  5. Grab (hotel)
  6. Tara (restaurant)
  7. Lake Skadar (attraction)