Minneapolis

Best free things to do in Minneapolis?

I'm going to be in Minneapolis next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Brittany

There are always a bunch of festivals to attend while in Minneapolis, many of which are free. The Como Park Zoo & Conservatoryis also lovely, and just has a recommended donation, but is free. There are also a TON of breweries, and if they charge, they are very reasonable. 

1. Como Park Zoo & Conservatory (attraction)

Leonard from Minneapolis

The Frederick R Weisman Art Museum is free, great, and a stunning design by Frank Gehry.  

A good, cheap way to both get around and enjoy the numerous urban bike trails is the Nice Ride bike sharing program run by the city.  The Nice Ride Midtown Greenway & 5th Ave S is just off one of the nicer bike trails -- the Greenway

1. The Frederick R Weisman Art Museum (attraction)
  2. Nice Ride Midtown Greenway & 5th Ave S (attraction)

Karla from Minneapolis

Check out my blog posts http://www.littlepeanutonthego.com/six-things-to-do-in-minneapolis/ & http://www.littlepeanutonthego.com/things-to-do-in-minneapolis-with-kids/ for a few ideas.  Minnehaha FallsLake CalhounLake HarrietStone Arch Bridge are great for outdoor activities.  Many of the local museums have free entry once a month, just check out their websites.  Have fun!

1. Minnehaha Falls (attraction)
  2. Lake Calhoun (attraction)
  3. Lake Harriet (attraction)
  4. Stone Arch Bridge (attraction)

LeeTi

Hi Kate,

The Minneapolis Institute Of Arts is free everyday.  The Walker Art Center has free admission on Thursday nights.  The Minneapolis parks have free concerts nightly, my favorite is at the Lake Harriet Bandshell , 7:30pm M-Sat & 2:30/5:30 on Sundays.  You can get tickets to a Twins game for pretty cheap, some under $10.  The Stone Arch Bridge is fun to walk across.  There's a great observation deck in the Guthrie Theater that you can see the riverfront from & it's free (the Guthrie building itself is pretty cool).The Nice Ride bicycles can be rented around the city and you can bike around.  The lightrail also goes from the airport to DT Minneapolis & also to St. Paul & it's very inexpensive.   

1. Minneapolis Institute Of Arts (attraction)
  2. Walker Art Center (attraction)
  3. Lake Harriet Bandshell (attraction)
  4. Stone Arch Bridge (attraction)
  5. Guthrie Theater (attraction)

The Como Park Zoo & Conservatory just to the east in nearby St. Paul is free.  The Conservatory is excellent and the zoo is quirky, but has some fun animals!

Donovan from Minneapolis

Hey Katie!

I hope you have a great trip to our beautiful city!

Definitely make some time to visit the Minneapolis Institute Of Arts (MIA). It always has free admission and usually has an interesting variety of art and exhibits.

You sound like a bit of an art lover, so my other recommendation, although not free like MIA, is another art museum known for its stunning modern art. I highly recommend the Walker Art Center. I believe Target sponsors a free admission night every Thursday, so you could possibly still get to see it for free. There is also the popular Sculpture Garden on the grounds of the Walker, featuring the iconic Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture.Either way, the Sculpture Garden is always free to visit.

Another thing I would recommend is to visit Minnehaha Park. There is a beautiful waterfall and some hiking trails in the park. It's right next to the Mississippi River as well, so if you take the trails far enough, you will emerge right next to the river.Lake Calhoun is also a popular spot for visitors. The lake has lots of recreational activities such as boat or paddleboard rental, sailing, bike rental, and there are paved trails for walking, biking, or inline skating.

These are a few suggestions. For more suggestions, try visiting http://www.365TwinCities.com, a blog I founded with a friend. There are lots of ideas there as well. We also have a large and active Facebook community if you want to ask questions there. The Facebook page is called 365 Things To Do in The Twin Cities.

Have a nice trip!

(All photos by Donovan Twaddle except Minnehaha Falls photo is from Minnehaha Falls' Facebook page)

2. Walker Art Center (attraction)
  3. Minnehaha Park (attraction)
  4. Lake Calhoun (attraction)