Milwaukee

What's the best neighborhood in Milwaukee for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Milwaukee and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Milwaukee is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Tara

Try the The Iron Horse Hotel. It puts you minutes from downtown, RiverwalkBay ViewHistoric Third Ward, and the East Side. Lots of things to do and see!!

1. The Iron Horse Hotel (hotel)
  2. Riverwalk (attraction)
  3. Bay View (attraction)
  4. Historic Third Ward (attraction)

Carly from Wisconsin

I would suggest using Hotwire.com and look for 3 star hotels. It will give you a low rate that includes 3 possible downtown hotels options. Then they will email you which hotel you got. I have stayed at the Park East Hotel which is only a 5 cab ride to downtown water street and you can find free parking in that neighborhood. also stayed at The Plaza Hotel Milwaukee and Courtyard Milwaukee Downtown. Most hotels are very central to the downtown area. There is some night life on Water street, Brady street and Old 3rd world street. 3rd ward and the Milwaukee market is a nice area for dinner (swig, water Buffalo, Onesto, Hinterland) and walking around. There is a nice river walk behind Milwaukee Ale house. Veterans park is nice during the day for the view of the lake. The public transportation is not great so i would suggest walking or a cab. 

1. Park East Hotel (hotel)
  2. The Plaza Hotel Milwaukee (restaurant)
  3. Courtyard Milwaukee Downtown (hotel)

Jacqueline from West Allis, Wisconsin

I have stayed at County Clare Irish Inn & Pub. Very comfy. (Around $140/night) Near downtown; able to walk to a lot of attractions-- Milwaukee Art Museum, Lake Michigan, downtown River Walk, restaurants. There's a free trolley that will take you around to get a feel for the area. Interesting neighborhood with lots of older buildings; great architecture. Also, County Clare sometimes has music in their restaurant/bar. They also serve a good brunch.

http://bit.ly/1dMnqDN

Have eaten at the Cafe At The Plaza numerous times and I know people who have stayed at the hotel and liked it. Also near to downtown.

Be sure to go farther afield for more fun. If you need ideas for what to do, post again and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas. Milwaukee has lots going on in the summer. What are you travel dates?

1. County Clare Irish Inn & Pub (hotel)
  2. Milwaukee Art Museum (attraction)
  3. Cafe At The Plaza (restaurant)