Caitlin

Milan, Florence, Lucca, Rome, Naples, Positano, Taormina, Syracuse, Santorini, Athens

Intinerary for Italy and Greece - July

Hi There!

I'm currently planning a trip to Italy and Greece for July 2017. So far the itinerary is:

Milan - 3 nights

Florence - 3 nights

Lucca - 2 nights

Rome - 4 nights

Naples - 2 nights

Positano - 2 nights

Taormina - 3 nights

Syracuse - 3 nights

Santorini - 3 nights

Athens - 4 nights

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I stay more time/less time in any of these places? Is 3 nights in Taormina too much? Any advice/must sees are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Salzino

Hello,

Four nights in Athens is fine. But I'd like some more info before answer. Do you prefer to stay in Athens only or you may include some excursions around Athens?
Regarding Santorini,  you can see all its beauties withing 3 days. There are many hotels to stay, the ones with view are expensive but in Apenamo Hotel (www.apanemo.com) you will get view + reasonable prices.
As a skipper, the sea itineraries is my best, but I live in Athens so I can schedule the best plan for you.

1. Athens (city)
  2. Santorini (island)

Dave from Houston

These are wonderful destinations. It will be a long vacation amounting to 29 days. 

My best advice would be to cut down on the number of destinations. It is a case of 'less is more.' That's because relocating from one location to another can be very time consuming. You'll spend too much of your vacation packing, unpacking, traveling, checking in, checking out, and getting oriented to the new place.

If it were me I'd drop Greece and do that on another trip. That would free up 7 days and cut the number of transfers from 9 to 7.

Here is how I would reallocate those days and adjust your schedule.

-> Milan - 3 nights
-> Province of Florence - 6 nights (rent a car and day trip to Siena, San Gimignano and explore the nearby wine country
->Province of La Spezia - 4 nights - A perfect location for day trips in this region. Keep the car and drive here from Florence. Check out the street market. There is a frequent and inexpensive local train that stops in all five villages of the Le Cinque Terre from here. If you have time, and are in good condition, take the hike between the villages for some awesome scenery. Take a day trip from here to Lucca (half day is enough) and Pisa.  Portofino is another wonderful place favored by the jet set. It is also an easy day trip by car from here.
-> Rome- 4 nights You could spend a month here and not see everything. The best museum is the Borghese Gallery. Order your tickets ahead of time online or you may not be able to get in. Other sites not to be missed are the Pantheon, Forum, Colosseum, and Capitoline Museums along with the Vatican.
-> Sorrento - 6 nights This is the best place to stay, and a great base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. You'll need a car for day trips to Naples(one day is enough), PositanoAmalfiRavello

View from Ravello& Pompeii. The scenic drive from Sorrento to Amalfi is spectacular and unforgettable. You'll take the ferry that leaves from here to the island of Capri for another day trip. Sorrento is a real city with both tourists and a local population. It is also a lovely place to spend a couple days with nice restaurants, shops, and scenic vistas. Positano is all tourists and T-shirt shops. The best way to see Positano is from a boat. Take a water taxi from the Positano pier to the posh San Pietro hotel for lunch in their restaurant.
-> Taormina - 3 nights - I think 2 days in Taormina is plenty but much of your first day will probably be used up traveling there. Like Positano, it's nothing but tourists.

-> Syracuse & Catania - 3 nights - There is lots to see in both Syracuse and Catania. They're not far apart so try to see both. 

That's it for my 29 nights.

Riomaggiore - One of the five Cinque Terre villagesA view of Amalfi from the road approaching from PositanoBridge over the Arno River in FlorenceBrunch at La Sirenuse Hotel in PositanoOn the island of Capri Portofino is a playground for the rich and famous

Looking up at Sorrento from the Capri Ferry Docks

1. Greece (attraction)
  2. Milan (city)
  3. Province of Florence (metro area)
  4. Province of La Spezia (attraction)
  5. Le Cinque Terre (restaurant)
  7. Sorrento (attraction)
  8. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  9. Naples (attraction)
  10. Positano (attraction)
  11. Amalfi (restaurant)
  12. Ravello (attraction)

Αγάπη

I my opinion, more than one night at LuccaPositano and Taormina are more than enough. Two nights in Santorini enough. 

1. Lucca (city)
  2. Positano (attraction)
  3. Taormina (city)
  4. Santorini (island)

Maria

3 nights in Taormina Taorimina sounds perfect! It is quite an expensive place to be. Try the great almond cookies made by the great man Roberto, he has a Facebook page, you will find him in one of the alleys. He makes the best almond pastries you have ever eaten! Try staying at Villa Carlotta , or at least eat there , a wonderful hotel just at the end of the city wall. 

1. Taormina (city)
  2. Villa Carlotta (attraction)

Fabio

Delete Lucca and stay at least 4 nights in Naples. There is so much to see here. In summer You can spend two different days to go to Positano and Amalfi coast that are really, really amazing. In the others two days you have to visit the centre of the city where you can taste the neapolitan pizza (i suggest you to go to "Michele", it's the best pizza place in the world!). You need to walk along the Mergellina boardwork! If you want to taste the spirit of the city you can go to San Gregorio Armeno San Gregorio Armeno where you can see the ancient art of the nativity scene. There is so much to see also about the history, if you want. You can go to "Napoli sotterranea" where you can admire the rests of the underground ancient city. The museum chapel saint @ where you can see the famous sculture of the "veiled Christ". I hope to have been helpful! Enjoy yoursef! 😀

1. Lucca (city)
  2. Naples (attraction)
  3. Positano (attraction)
  4. San Gregorio Armeno (attraction)

Janelle from Charleston

Seems to me that the time you set aside for each place is spot on.  You might find that Milan doesn't need 3 full days...it's a workaday city that doesn't have as much to attract tourists as Rome or Florence.  Maybe you could cut a day off Milan and spend a 5th day in Rome.  Santorini is a beautiful but small island with not much to do besides park yourself on the beach or at the pool and veg out...you might want to give it a pass if when you travel you want a place full of activity rather than just a place to chill and do nothing. On the other hand, after that grueling itinerary you might want to just vegetate for a few days :-D  Syracuse is less interesting that Palermo...if you are willing to make the detour I'd recommend the latter over the former as a much better place to experience Sicily. 

1. Milan (city)
  2. Santorini (island)
  3. Syracuse (attraction)
  4. Palermo (city)

Francesco from Francavilla Fontana

You can make a Vespa tour with Roma rent bike

Alecia from Kailua Kona

Sounds fun! I've been to Italy and Greece but in two separate trips. I spent 3 nights in Athens and Rome and found that to be enough. There is plenty to do in 4 days though, but in the summer it will be so hot and crowded that I was ready to get out of both. It doesn't look like you've included Le Cinque Terre? I spent a few nights there as well and it was beautiful and refreshing to go after being in Rome. It's your itinerary but that would be my recommendation. Also I would recommend going on the Tuscany day trip from Province of Florence. It was one of my favorite days. It included PisaSiena, and San Gimignano. We booked it from viator. I honestly think they are best done in two separate trips (Italy and Greece) but it's up to you. Mykonos and CRETEA are also great. Whatever way you do it, those are two of my favorite places! Enjoy!

1. Italy (country)
  2. Greece (attraction)
  3. Athens (city)
  5. Le Cinque Terre (restaurant)
  6. Province of Florence (metro area)
  7. Pisa (city)
  8. Siena (attraction)
  9. San Gimignano (attraction)
  10. Mykonos (city)
  11. CRETEA (attraction)

Laurance from Los Angeles

AmalfiPompeiHerculaneum(more developed for tourists than Pompeii). 

1. Amalfi (city)
  2. Pompei (attraction)
  3. Herculaneum (attraction)