Justin
South Lake Tahoe

Justin from South Lake Tahoe asked

Places to hike and camp in Michigan?

I will be in Michigan over the summer for a few weeks and I'm wondering where the best places are to camp, hike and do a ton of other outdoorsy things? I'll be visiting a buddy in Grand Rapids, but would like to take the opportunity to explore other parts, so all ears for ideas!

Michigan (MI)   Grand Rapids (Michigan)

Michael from Saginaw

Shoot up north to the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  Should fulfill all your needs there.  Beautiful area.

Nick from Michigan

Here are two of my favorite places to hike or play outdoors in Michigan.  The second is a little more family and park play oriented, rather than lots of hiking.

Waterloo State Recreation Area

Independence Oaks County Park

Enjoy your stay, Justin!

LaToya from Annapolis

I love would suggest a short drive to the beach in Grand Haven to see the awesomeness of Lake Michigan or perhaps a drive to the Cherry capital of Traverse City. Both places are short day trips that allows for connection with nature.

1. Grand Haven (city)
  2. Traverse City (city)
Polly from Washington, DC

Sleeping Bear Dunes and the surrounding area is pretty great. Not sure about camping, but climbing the dunes and kayaking is fun.

It's not exactly a day trip, but if you have some time, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is just wonderful in the summer. Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Keweenaw Peninsula, and especially Isle Royale National Park are neat places to explore - good camping, hiking, and boating.