Molly

Miami

one night lay over in Miami- what to see, where to eat?

Hi, we are a couple in our 50s and have one night lay over and have never seen Miami beach, we would like to have dinner some where (not too $$$) besides the airport hotel. We have to be up early the next AM and are not nightlife people. Thanks!

JR from Manhattan Beach

If I had just one night in Maimi Beach, I'd hands down eat at Joe's Stone Crab  The place is an institution. It's on the pricey side, but very worth it IMO. Steaks and crab claws are obviously great, but don't miss out on my fav side item... their Joe's tomatoes which are sliced tomatoes topped with cheese and pesto. Very yummy.  

1. Joe's Stone Crab (restaurant)

Shawn from Miami

Lincoln Road is a great place to people watch and they're tons of places to eat. Ocean drive Is mainly tourist. Wynwood/Design District has cool spots but also closes early as far as things to see.  

Narrow down a type of food you want maybe and start that way. Hotel lobby's at setai SLs and Delano are great to visit for a cool place to go that's interior is very cool

1. Lincoln Road (attraction)
  2. Wynwood (neighborhood)
  3. Design District (attraction)

Melissa from Chicago

I highly recommend Puerto Sagua Restaurant. I usually eat there for lunch when I am in Miami, but it looks like they are open for dinner as well. No pretensions, no frills, just comfort-food staples like Cuban sandwich & ropa vieja since 1962 (according to their website). I always get the chicken with rice, black beans and plantains and it is always delicious. It is not far from the beach and cheap!!

1. Puerto Sagua Restaurant (restaurant)

Dee from Miami

I would definitely recommend Lincoln Road Mall for a good variety of restaurants with varying price ranges. If you're looking for some entertainment while you eat I would recommend Mango's Tropical Cafeon Ocean Dr. They have a variety of latin dance shows throughout the night as well as moderately priced food and drinks. Plus if you want to take a romantic walk on the sand, the beach is right across the street!

1. Lincoln Road Mall (attraction)
  2. Mango's Tropical Cafe (attraction)

Al from Miami

Joe's is undeniably tops, food-wise, but you've only a single night to sample Miami Beach, so stroll Lincoln Road Mall and snag a bite (or more) at any of a few dozen sidewalk cafes.  Let people-watching take precedent over premium dining for the evening - and if you're fortunate, there might be a concert at the neighboring New World Symphony, an exhibition at the ArtCenter or some other 'pop-up' activity.

1. New World Symphony (attraction)
  2. ArtCenter (attraction)

Polly from Washington, DC

If you decide Joe's Stone Crab is too pricey, I'd recommend Oliver's. We ate there simply because it was just down the street from where we were staying and were very pleasantly surprised - great food and service at a reasonable price point. Of course, you don't get the South Beach vibe on the bay side, but if you're not nightlife people, that's not necessarily a bad thing!

1. Joe's Stone Crab (restaurant)
  2. Oliver's (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Absolutely agree with the other answer... Joe's Stone Crab.

1. Joe's Stone Crab (restaurant)

Monica from Miami

Coral Gables is a food mecca not too far from the airport.  Miracle Mile has numerous delicious restaurants.  For italian food there's Randazzo's Little Italy, Graziano's in the Gables is an argentinian steakhouse,  not too far off Miracle Mile is Bulla Gastrobar is a Spanish tapas style restaurant. For authentic cuban food you can always do Versailles or La Carreta. They both have outposts in the airport or about 15 minutes away. 

1. Coral Gables (city)
  2. Miracle Mile (metro area)
  3. Randazzo's Little Italy (restaurant)
  4. Graziano's in the Gables (restaurant)
  5. Bulla Gastrobar (restaurant)
  6. Versailles (restaurant)
  7. La Carreta (restaurant)