Marle asked

Unsafe neighborhoods in Miami

If one is prone to walk and walk around cities, are there in Miami neighborhoods that is better as a tourist to avoid? Near or almost near the tourist areas I mean, like to suddenly end up by accident in one of those just by walking...

Miami

Elizabeth from Homestead

If you're visiting in the summer it's extremely hot to be walking outside also distances are extremely long between each city... so if you're staying by the beach you would have to take buses to Biscayne Boulevard WayBrickellCoconut Grove and Coral Gables areas where there's things to do by foot.. or use metrorail for moving between those areas...

1. Biscayne Boulevard Way (attraction)
  2. Brickell (neighborhood)
  3. Coconut Grove (neighborhood)
  4. Coral Gables (city)
jeffrey from Miami

South Beach- North Beach is great - anything east of the waterway is pretty much safe, just avoid the west side unless you are on or near Brickel Ave.

Marle
Do you mean where the streets are named Northwest and a number? I only found one Brickell Avenue near the Viscaya Gardens...

1. South Beach (attraction)
  2. North Beach (attraction)
Greg from Chengdu

1. Overtown (attraction)
Kavin from Miami

Little Haiti and areas bordering Wynwood
Wynwood is a hip and touristic place, but its neighboring is something you may want to avoid ending up accidentally. 

1. Little Haiti (attraction)
  2. Wynwood (neighborhood)

My daughter told me not to stay at the Hampton Inn Miami Dadeland because she said it was a bad area.  But I think in the normal tourist areas you should be OK. 

I have heard that Hialeahis a bit unsafe. However, let me give you names of sites that are pretty safe and a must to visit: Bayside MarketplaceLincoln RoadSouth BeachCoconut GroveCoral GablesCollins Ave. If you need recommendations on restaurants and interesting sites/spots to visit while in Miami, please let me know. (I can help you out with some recommendations of cool places in Orlando besides theme parks).

Saludos!

Marle
I'm going to be there two weeks, some days in Orlando, so yes if you could recommend something in Orlando for the evenings as well it would be wonderful. I tend to walk, of all the places you mentioned, which ones you think could be the best for my first day of "walking"? I guess they are not so near one from the other... And if I don't abuse your kindness, would you recommend taking one of those sightseeing buses? I've seen several types but hadn't researched yet on their routes and costs, however sometimes in some cities they don't really show all the interesting places, that's why I prefer walking. Thanks again!

Rocio
I love walking as well! Therefore, I try to stay in the Collins area (Miami) where I can walk by the beach. There are many beach front hotel options. The Collins Ave is pretty nice and safe for a long walk. I like sightseeing buses, they are a good option when you do not the city. The city bus is also a good alternative if you know the city. I always take the bus for example, from the Collins Ave (Wydham Hotel) to Aventura Mall. Easy, Safe and Cheap. In Orlando I love to walk at night around Downtown Disney. The boardwalk offers many alternatives of outstanding gastronomy (i.e. Portobello 1650 Buenavista Dr.), bars, etc. For example, there is an interesting area: The Boardwalk located btwn the hotels Dolphin and Swan, really nice for long walks (and has beautiful villas alongside). I really hope this helps! I will think in any additional information that might help. Saludos!

Marle
Thank you very much for your kind answer!

1. Hialeah (city)
  2. Bayside Marketplace (attraction)
  3. Lincoln Road (attraction)
  4. South Beach (attraction)
  5. Coconut Grove (neighborhood)
  6. Coral Gables (city)
  7. Collins Ave (attraction)
  8. Miami (city)