Travis Miller

Travis asked November 14, 2014

Miami: Quick weekend trip flying out of Miami in December- any suggestions?

I'll be in Miami over the weekend in early December- should I try a quick flight to a local island or interesting destination? If so, where do you suggest? 

Miami

• Sarah Gough

Top Answer by Sarah G. from Los Angeles

If you are looking for a quick getaway from Miami that's close, make the drive down to Key West for the weekend. There's some beautiful sights to see along the way but once you get there, there's great restaurants and things to do! Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, Louie's Backyard for the sunset, Half Shell Raw Bar, Duval Street for live music and drinks...

• Debbie Lee

Debbie L. from San Francisco answered

Hey Travis, sounds like fun! I don't know if you're going the first weekend of December, but if you are, in addition to flying out to an island, you should also considering sticking around Miami Beach for the Art Basel exhibition that happens there every December! It's a huge world class art show going on from December 4-7 this year :) Art Baselimage from eflorida.comArt Basel

• Christopher Lopez

Christopher L. answered

I agree with Sarah, Key West is incredible (I LOVE the Lobster Po' Boy at Half Shell Raw Bar). But Art Basel is a unique experience. I believe it's one of the larger art festivals in the country. WynwoodThe Design District, Midtown and Wynwood all offer amazing parties and art exhibits with all the galleries open and installments in stores, restaurants, warehouses--even temporary structures they put up just for this week. There's lots of live music too. Definitely worth experiencing.

• Monica Ventura

Monica V. from Miami answered

I agree with both Sarah and Debbie. Key West is a great idea bc while you havent left Florida it feels like you are in the Bahamas. It's very laid back with an easy going vibe. They have lots of fun bars and great food!!!