Travis
Traverse City, Michigan

Miami

Quick weekend trip flying out of Miami in December- any suggestions?

I'll be in Miami over the weekend in early December- should I try a quick flight to a local island or interesting destination? If so, where do you suggest? 

Sarah from Los Angeles

If you are looking for a quick getaway from Miami that's close, make the drive down to Key West for the weekend. There's some beautiful sights to see along the way but once you get there, there's great restaurants and things to do! Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, Louie's Backyard for the sunset, Half Shell Raw Bar, Duval Street for live music and drinks... 

1. Key West (city)
  2. Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum (attraction)
  3. Louie's Backyard (restaurant)
  4. Half Shell Raw Bar (restaurant)
  5. Duval Street (attraction)

Hey Travis, sounds like fun!  I don't know if you're going the first weekend of December, but if you are, in addition to flying out to an island, you should also considering sticking around Miami Beach for the Art Basel exhibition that happens there every December!  It's a huge world class art show going on from December 4-7 this year :)  

1. Miami Beach (attraction)
  2. Art Basel (attraction)

Christopher from Miami, Florida

I agree with Sarah, Key West is incredible (I LOVE the Lobster Po' Boy at Half Shell Raw Bar). But Art Basel is a unique experience. I believe it's one of the larger art festivals in the country. WynwoodThe Design District, Midtown and Wynwood all offer amazing parties and art exhibits with all the galleries open and installments in stores, restaurants, warehouses--even temporary structures they put up just for this week. There's lots of live music too. Definitely worth experiencing.

1. Half Shell Raw Bar (restaurant)
  2. Wynwood (neighborhood)
  3. The Design District, Midtown and Wynwood (attraction)

Monica from Miami

I agree with both Sarah and Debbie.  Key West is a great idea bc while you havent left Florida it feels like you are in the Bahamas.  It's very laid back with an easy going vibe.  They have lots of fun bars and great food!!!

1. Key West (city)