Kauan
Brazil

Miami, Fort Lauderdale, The Caribbean, The Bahamas

Is the fast ferry to caribbean a good idea?

Hi, I'll spend about 10 days in Miami, I already know the city, I was thinking in take a fast ferry to caribbean. Is a good idea? Which one is the best cost-benefit?

Susyn from Fort Lauderdale

Hello, Kauan! Glad that you are coming to visit Miami!
I don't have experience with the Miami-based ferries and can only speak to the Fort Lauderdale-based ferries out of Port Everglades. They are not generally used by people touring The Caribbean unless those people are transporting a vehicle or large cargo. If you are not planning on transporting a car to the carribbean, you are better taking one of the many very affordable small plane "commuter hops" or a day cruise to one of the islands, and renting a car on the island you visit (I have been to many of the islands and have never rented a car, partly because several of the islands run in British driving on the left side of the road and the fact that they had so much public transportation available that I just didn't need to rent a car). I don't think you will see a cost benefit from taking a ferry to any carribean island from Miami unless you are transporting a vehicle there. I hope you enjoy your visit!

1. Miami (city)
  2. Fort Lauderdale (city)
  3. The Caribbean (region)
  4. Port Everglades (attraction)

Roberto from Coral Gables

It could be but if the weather at sea is rough it can be very unpleasant. Short flight might be your most secure option.

jarrett from Freeport

Depends on which fast ferry.  If it is the balleria that goes to grand bahama the price is prob good but you should be prepared for a rough ride sometimes