Mario
Dallas

Miami, Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Everglades, Everglades National Park

3 days summer road trip in Miami/Key West

My girlfriend and I want to drive down to Key West and back to Ft. Lauderdale end of July. Any suggestions on where to stop and what to see along the way? The plan is to go down on one day and drive back up the next day. After that we want to stay in Miami for one night and explore the surroundings. We have a car but we are still looking for accommodation along the way. Further, we would like to see the Everglades (taking a tour or whatever). Lastly, we also want to spend some time on the beaches. Any ideas on how to do all that in this short time :) 

Budget: $$

Sarah from Key West

Hey Mario. Key West is not the best for its beaches but there is a lot to do out on the water if you like water sports or snorkeling. That might take up your whole day but there is a lot to do on land too. Key West is a pretty quirky place with a lot of history- Museums, sightseeing tours, etc.

If you decide to extend your trip, KW has a pretty big nightlife scene. I'd recommend The Bottle Cap, The Green Parrot, and Smokin' Tuna Saloon for local's hideouts and live music. You'll find all sorts of great restaurants, bars, and clubs along Duval Street

Hope you have a great time!

1. The Bottle Cap (attraction)
  2. The Green Parrot (attraction)
  3. Smokin' Tuna Saloon (restaurant)
  4. Duval Street (attraction)

Hello Mario. I made this trip last year but unfortunately did not it make down far to Key West (did not have enough time). However, it was an interesting trip anyway. We started the trip in Ft. Lauderdale Strip but stayed at a friend's house. I remember there were a lot of small hotels all the way the strip. Then we continue the trip to Miami and stayed at the Wyndham Hotel at 4833 Collins Ave (but there are many cheaper options as well). Miami has many interesting places to visit such as: Bayside Marketplace, Lincoln Road Mall, Miami BeachCoral Gables , Coconut grove Marinaand South Beach.  Another option that I suggest is Hollywood Beach. It is an ocean beachfront promenade where you can enjoy at least 1 day (check on internet for hotel/apartments options). We continued the trip and made a few stops at the cities of Key Largo, Islamorada and Plantation. Beautiful beaches!!! You cant miss none of these. Check on internet as I remember there were many small ocean front small apartments for rental.

I am sure you will enjoy the ride!!

1. Ft. Lauderdale Strip (attraction)
  2. Miami (city)
  3. Bayside Marketplace (attraction)
  4. Lincoln Road Mall (attraction)
  5. Miami Beach (city)
  6. Coral Gables (city)
  7. Coconut grove Marina (attraction)
  8. South Beach (neighborhood)
  9. Hollywood Beach (attraction)
  10. Key Largo (attraction)
  11. Islamorada (city)
  12. Plantation (city)

Veronica from Fort Worth

Southernmost Hotel Collection is a great place to stay.

Everglades Alligator Farm in Homestead is on the way and good but Buffalo Tiger’s Florida Everglades Airboat Tours is even better. It's at least 20 miles off US 1.

1. Southernmost Hotel Collection (hotel)
  2. Everglades Alligator Farm (attraction)
  3. Buffalo Tiger’s Florida Everglades Airboat Tours (attraction)