Alejandra
Austin (Texas)

Mexico City

Mexico City tourism with elderly father

My sisters and I are planning a trip to take my father to see Mexico City, where he's always wanted to go. He really wants to see the pyramids and of course all the beautiful downtown and historic buildings. Unfortunately, he is not able to walk long distances without getting very short of breath. Can anyone tell me what sort of options I might have in terms of mobility (i.e. bus tours)? Or is it a better idea to rely on taxis or public transportation?

Luis from Tuxtla Gutierrez

Hi Alejandra, a great option to visit Mexico City historic downtown Centro Histórico is Turibus http://www.turibus.com.mx/circuito_centro.html It will take you to the main atractions and museums on the city downton. With a single ticket you can take the bus as many times as you want on the same day. Adult ticket is about USD$12.

They also offer guided tours to Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán for the Teotihuacan pyramids (USD$75) http://www.circuitopiramides.com.mx/tour_incluido.html 

Public transportation to Teotihuacan is cheaper (USD$15) if you go to Central de Autobuses del Norte bus station. But most of the time buses are overcrowded. Specially, if you don't speak spanish and need to take care of your father I think it's better to take the tour.

1. Centro Histórico (attraction)
  2. Turibus (attraction)
  3. Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán (attraction)
  4. Central de Autobuses del Norte (attraction)

J Santiago from Mexico City, Mexico

Hello Alejandra, 

I would not use public transportation for site seeing, better go on the hop on hop off Turibus. There are 3 - 4 routes and they will take you to the most see turistic spots. Remember Mexico City is one of the biggest in the world so you will need transportation to most places. Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán Teotiguacan Pyramids are not in Mexico City but they are about 1 and a half hours outside the city. I would go to Concierge and ask them to book a tour for you. There is a lot of walking in Teotihuacan so I would take a private tour to be able to direct it. Another way to see the pyramids is on an air balloon (http://flyvolare.com.mx/) its the best!. Finally I would book a hotel somwhere between Paseo de la Reforma or Polanco. Have a great trip!

1. Turibus (attraction)
  2. Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán (attraction)
  3. Paseo de la Reforma (attraction)
  4. Polanco (neighborhood)

Karen from Mexico City

They can stay in the center in the Zona Rosa.  It is central and hence very close to a square called Reforma 222 buses depart from there and can take you to travel both to the Pyramid of the Sun and the center of the Cd. of Mexico. Public transportation is a good choice but renting a car with GPS is the best option.

Pueden hospedarse en el centro en la Zona Rosa es centrico y segurro de ahi queda muy cerca un plaza que se llama Reforma 222 salen unos autobuses que se llaman turibus y te llevan a viajes tanto a las Pirámides de Teotihuacan como al centro de la Cd. de México creo que el transporte es una buena opción pero rentar un auto con GPS es la mejor opcion

1. Zona Rosa (neighborhood)
  2. Reforma 222 (attraction)
  3. Pyramid of the Sun (attraction)

Marle

Mexico City is not very elder friendly and taxis for tourists are not very reliable. If you take a cab, have the Hotel to call it ALWAYS. It's also very big, so you'll probably would have to move independently to the Turibus stop from your Hotel. The only public transportation I would recomend for tourists are Metro and Metrobus, if you are taking the Metro, ask in the Hotel if they know how many stairs have the stations you are going to use, not all stations have electric stairs all the way, most of them don't have elecric stairs in the last part, before going out to the street. But Turibus and a Teotihuacan tour are excellent ideas!