Abel

Mexico City, Xochimilco

Teotihuacan vs. Xochimilco

I will be in Mexico City in November and will only be in town long enough to visit either Xochimilco or Teotihuacan (in addition to everything else I will be doing). Which should I visit and why?

This is a little hard to answer as Teotihuacan Centro

is an archaeological site while Xochimilco is more of a place where you go for a nice day or evening out with your friends on a boat.

I would say you should go for Teotihuacan if you are alone while Xochimilco could be a good idea if you are a bunch of friends together.

1. Teotihuacan Centro (attraction)
  2. Xochimilco (attraction)

Nefi from Mexico City, Mexico

Both of them are nice but if you only have time for one and haven't visited either of them before then I would recommend Teotihuacan. There's a lot to see there including the huge Pyramid of the Sun, the Pyramid of the Moon, the temple of Quetzalcoatl and the local museum. It is a great experience.
Xochimilco is very nice too, however there's not that much to see as a one time tourist. I would recommend that in the future you have more time to stay you rent a ''trajinera'' (traditional boat) in Xochimilco to enjoy with friends.

If you speak Spanish you can visit my page/blog saliradentro.com where I'll be posting reviews of places around Mexico City.

1. Teotihuacan (attraction)
  2. Pyramid of the Sun (attraction)
  3. Pyramid of the Moon (attraction)
  4. Xochimilco (attraction)
  5. Mexico City (city)

Pat from San Miguel de Allende

If you haven't seen other Latin American ruins, I'd go with Teotihuacan.  (Note: It combines well with the Basílica de Guadalupe...also great to visit.) If you've seen other LA pyramids, then probably Xochimilco because it is pretty unique...just not quite as impressive.

1. Teotihuacan (attraction)
  2. Basílica de Guadalupe (attraction)
  3. Xochimilco (attraction)

Elizabeth from Boynton Beach

Abel,

I lived in Mexico City for almost two years and IMHO San Juan Teotihuacan trumps Xochimilco. Teotihuacan is a world heritage site. Xochimilco is a tourist trap.

1. San Juan Teotihuacan (city)
  2. Xochimilco (attraction)

Karen from Mexico City

As we have already mentioned depends on your trip, either 2 is a very good option. In the Pirámides you can enjoy the architecture I recommend hat and sunscreen while in Xochimilco you can enjoy delicious food, mariachis while you stroll in trajineras.

I leave both links to compare:

http://www.teotihuacan.inah.gob.mx/index.php

http://www.xochimilco.df.gob.mx/costos.html

1. Pirámides (attraction)
  2. Xochimilco (attraction)

Marle

Teotihuacan without a question, can't even compare! And yes, Xochimilco is pretty boring for going alone, you go with friends to eat and drink in the Chinampas you take from Embarcadero Nuevo Nativitas or Embarcadero Fernando Celada or Embarcadero Cuemanco, otherwise you'll have enough time to notice how green the water is...

1. Embarcadero Nuevo Nativitas (attraction)
  2. Embarcadero Fernando Celada (attraction)
  3. Embarcadero Cuemanco (attraction)