Shawn
New Orleans

Mexico

Can I use dollars in Mexico?

Does anyone know if you can use dollars in Mexico? I’ve heard you can, but I’m not sure. Is there any advantage to using dollars over pesos?  I’ve heard that you could get discounts and was curious as to whether there was any truth to that.

I have never come across that myself and i have been to Mexico many times and spend over 6 months there in total.

You can use Dollars in places where you have a high number of tourists but in general i find that using pesos is a better idea.

I have to say though that i have mainly been to parts of the country with few tourists as i have always been travelling overland there mostly by bicycle and things might be different if you are staying in a resort area.

Natacha

Hey Shawn,

It depends where you go, if it's around the Rivera Maya or in Mexico City, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would however advise you to change your money at the airport in DF or just take some out of an ATM. Word to the wise: tell your bank back home first that you're going away, otherwise they may block your card!

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

1. Mexico City (city)
  2. Rivera Maya (hotel)

Will from Chelsea (Massachusetts)

In general, most shops and restaurants are more than willing to accept dollars on the spot because the dollar is so strong against the peso. But, keep in mind that you will be losing a bit as they tend to round to the nearest multiple of 5 of the current exchange rate.

Sandy from Los Angeles

In the big cities you can use dollars with certain vendors. But you will get a lower exchange rate. My answer: buy your pesos with a "casa de cambios" at the highest rate -- yes, rates do differ from one place to another. The peso can change significantly even from one week to the next. I travel to Mexico at least twice a year.

Luis Alberto from Pachuca

Hi Shawn

Some place accept dollars but few. Itś more practical change dollar by pesos especially if you are in the central part of Mexico ( Mexico City, Puebla, Oaxaca, Hidalgo, Puerto Morelos, Queretaro). YOu can changes in Banks, is safe.

1. Mexico City (city)
  2. Puebla (city)
  3. Hidalgo (state)
  4. Puerto Morelos (city)
  5. Queretaro (city)
  6. Oaxaca (city)

Julie from York

Hi Shawn. In touristy areas like Cancun, yes. Otherwise pesos are the way to go. Enjoy Mexico, it's an AMAAAAAAZING country.