Rosanna
Aalsmeer

Mexico

Best place for students studying abroad in Mexico?

Hello you Mexico lovers!

After a lot of thinking I (kinda) decided to search for an internship in Mexico! It is a country that really appeals me. :)

But it is very hard finding the right place to stay since Mexico is so so big. I hope you guys could help me finding a place in Mexico that has the things I wish for.

I am looking for a place where I can learn my Spanish (I only speak the basic level right now). I read that in some places in Mexico they speak more English than Spanish.

I also wish for a not so high-end thing. The things I value are good people, nice restaurants etc. I don't need luxurious brand stores or big world cities .

Also, I would like to meet a lot of students. Does anyone know great student accommodations for expats?

And of course the most important thing is, it needs to have companies for my internship! So a small village won't work (and will be a bit to boring I guess). I am always looking for nice things to do and discovering new places! I also like going out for drinks, (street)art, creativity, etc.

Oh, and a good climate and a beach nearby wil make my time in Mexico perfect!!

I hope you guys can help me and tell me the things you know about Mexico! :) Thanks already!!

PS: looking for a creative branding/social media/creative content internship.

Carlos from Mexico

For your field, the best option by far is Mexico City. It has the biggest pool of companies anywhere in the country. Also, you'll never go bored in that city as there's always tons of things to do. 

If you don't want a city as chaotic as Mexico City, Guadalajara or Puebla are good options, too. Guadalajara is bigger and has more industry, but Puebla has a much better student life and is more conveniently located is you want to travel around the country. 

Hope this helps, good luck!

1. Mexico City (city)
  2. Guadalajara (city)
  3. Puebla (attraction)

Daniel from Austin (Texas)

Rosanna - Guanajuato is a great option. It is an historic university town and has an old-world feel. It is also in the middle of the country so you have numerous travel options (Queretaro, Morelia, Mexico City, Guadalajara, and San Miguel are all a short-medium length bus ride away). The city is about 2300 meters high and in a valley, so the weather is pretty nice year around. Another recommendation would be Mexico City. It is in the midst of a renaissance and an amazing place to be right now. Have a great trip! 

1. Guanajuato (city)

Emma from Ballarat

You could try Guadalajara. I spent 4 months there last year and there is a LOT of student accommodation available. (Just look on Craigslist). I paid $240 a month for a small room in a lovely house just three blocks from the Cathedral.  

It's a big city, so you should be able to find internship opportunities, quite vibrant (has a high student population), has a mild climate and is about 2.5 hours from the beach.

1. Guadalajara (city)