Victoria
Riga

Mexico

Best of all for first-timer and foodie.

Where to head to experience all the true Mexico flavors? For 2-3 weeks of vacation which place should I choose to stay? I want to see the beautiful beaches, landscapes and see the real Mexican food - rustic and traditional.

Where do I even start planning - Tulum, Cabo, what else? What are your top locations?

No Cancun, please)

What is the best way to travel across the country - rent a car?

Ed from Salt Lake City

I'd suggest La Paz (Mexico) in Baja, or Progresso Pool, Celestun, or Campeche in the Yucatan.  Ixtapa Zihuatanejo is another favorite of ours.  Cancun is probably the cheapest place to fly to, but it is not like visiting Mexico, it's more like the Las Vegas strip without gambling.  So just hop on a bus right at the Cancun airport and head elsewhere, even Belize.  The best way to travel in Mexico is the buses, most are better than U.S. airlines.  Akumal used to be the world's best snorkeling beach but pollution from the growth of Playa del Carmen has turned the water grey, killed all the coral, sponges and sea fans, and there is no longer ANY fish.  I don't know if the sea turtle refuge is still there, I suspect not.  I assume the entire coast at least that far south has been adversely affected by long shore drift.   La Paz, Zihuataneho (Ixtapa), and Merida all have convenient airports but fewer flights and fewer deals. As far as finding great places to eat, I just ask the locals, then I say, "No, where do YOU eat?"  The food is safe, be careful with the water.

If you are ever visiting Salt Lake City, look us up at http://www.Off-BroadwayStudios.com/

1. La Paz (Mexico) (city)
  2. Progresso Pool (attraction)
  3. Celestun (city)
  4. Campeche (attraction)
  5. Ixtapa Zihuatanejo (city)