Chris
Hobart, Tasmania

Mexico

Mexico 1 week family holiday in JANUARY

Hi we are planning a few weeks in US around xmas and I was thinking of spending a week some where in mexico, warm, beach activities, plus exposure to culture, any suggestions welcome, we have 3 teenage children

Ross from Fort Collins

I've said it before but I love the Tulum area. The ruins are amazing, there are cenotes near by, and your close enough to Playa del Carmen to shop and party without having to stay in the hustle and bustle. There are a wide range of accommodations from $10-$1000 and some all Inclusive options also. 

With a couple of weeks you could tour the whole Rivera Maya! Start in Cancun and spend three nights in multiple locations. Or if you want to take it to the next level, you can do what I did on my two week trip. we flew into cancun and backpacked from there through Belize and Guatemala to Tikal National Park! After Tikal we hit the reef islands of Belize and took boat rides back to cancun for our flight out! let me know what you pick and I can help with itinerary.

http://wanderingross.com/

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Cancun (city)
  4. Belize (country)
  5. Guatemala (country)
  6. Tikal National Park (attraction)

Tess from Columbus

Keep in mind that many places will be more expensive during the holiday season. You didn't mention you budget, but I suggest touring the Yucatan Peninsula. There are beaches on both the Caribbean side (Riviera Maya, Cancun and Costa Maya - all the way down to Belize.) Be sure to get away from the beaches and visit towns like Merida Valladolid and Campeche, three very interesting colonial cities. There are many archaeological sites in the peninsula including the larger ones like Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Coba, Edzna and Ek Balam.  But don't forget sites like Tulum, Dzibilchaltún and those on the Puuc Route. The food is tasty and the people are warm and friendly. I have taken teenagers to the Yucatan many times.

1. Riviera Maya (city)
  2. Cancun (city)
  3. Costa Maya (attraction)
  4. Belize (country)
  5. Merida (city)
  6. Valladolid (city)
  7. Campeche (city)
  8. Chichen Itza (city)
  9. Uxmal (city)
  10. Coba (city)
  11. Edzna (attraction)
  12. Ek Balam (attraction)
  13. Tulum (city)
  14. Dzibilchaltún (attraction)