stephanie
Nixa

Memphis

Must sees in Memphis TN?? Hidden gems places to eat??

Traveling with another couple and a four month old. Any suggestions and tips on what to do and where to go would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I stay 20 minutes from Memphis in Tunica at Gold Strike Casino Resort. You must have a car to go to the casinos there. There are many casinos in Tunica. 2 near Gold Strike. From there we travel in to Beale Street. Memphis is known for BBQ, so take your pick. I stopped and ate there all the time as a child. Grits are popular there as well. They have a Bass Convention Center on the River.  

Shelby Farms Park offers a wide variety of family friendly events. It is 4500 acres.

1. Tunica (city)
  2. Gold Strike Casino Resort (hotel)
  3. Beale Street (attraction)
  4. Shelby Farms Park (attraction)

I guess I forgot the eating part.  The only place I went (other than along Beale street to an old fashioned food  counter) was the Neely's place, because we were staying out in Millington and we ate dinner mostly out there. 

Janelle from Charleston

Memphis is known most of all for 2 attractions: Graceland and the National Civil Rights Museum.  Both are worthwhile, but the National Civil Rights Museum (at the Lorraine Motel where M.L. King was shot) is a much more moving and enriching experience.  I'd recommend buying Graceland tickets online in advance, or you WILL have to queue.  Beale Street is a great place to hang out at night but it can get very crowded, especially on weekends.  Mud Island is a nice urban park/outdoor museum, and seeing the ducks walk across the lobby at the Peabody Hotel at 11am and 5pm is a local tradition.  

As far as food, visitors typically head for Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (personally, I think their chicken is meh, nothing special), Charlie Vergos Rendezvous Alley (best ribs in town) and Corky's Ribs & BBQ, but locals tend to head to East Memphis and Germantown (Tennessee) for more creative menus and better food. 

Be warned: Memphis isn't the safest place.  It ranks in the top 5 among American cities for murder, robbery, car theft and other violent crime, and the underfunded police force can't and corrupt municipal government won't do anything about the problem. Downtown, Beale Street, Graceland and the suburbs are well patrolled and safe at all hours, but most everywhere else within the I-40/240 beltway is rather dodgy and best avoided at night.

1. Graceland (attraction)
  2. National Civil Rights Museum (attraction)
  3. Beale Street (attraction)
  4. Mud Island (attraction)
  5. Peabody Hotel (hotel)
  6. Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (restaurant)
  7. Charlie Vergos Rendezvous Alley (attraction)
  8. Corky's Ribs & BBQ (restaurant)
  9. Germantown (Tennessee) (city)

The toddler might like the ducks at the Peabody Hotel But basically at 4 months, as long as they can eat and sleep on schedule they're good to go.  Memphis has a lot of sports events (the Memphis Grizzlies and some minor league and college teams), an  old fashioned trolley in the downtown area, a lot of music venues (Elvis GracelandBeale StreetSun Studio), A. Schwab drug store, Mud Island,  MLKing was assassinated at the Motel LORRAINEwhich I think is now a National Civil Rights Museum. And it is where St. Jude Children's Research Hospitalis located and the graves of Danny Thomas and his wife are there too. There's also a zoo

1. Peabody Hotel (hotel)
  2. Graceland (attraction)
  3. Beale Street (attraction)
  4. Sun Studio (attraction)
  5. A. Schwab (attraction)
  6. Mud Island (attraction)
  7. Motel LORRAINE (attraction)
  8. National Civil Rights Museum (attraction)
  9. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (attraction)