Helen

Memphis

Exploring

Flying in and out of Memphis for a long weekend with a friend in early November. Looking for recommendations of scenic drives, nature/ wildlife, must see/do, off the beaten path, photography...  We have no itinerary.  Willing to explore in any direction...to 150 miles-ish.

I've only been there once but I do have a couple of off the beaten path or at least unusual things to do. I would check out the Peanut Shoppe Main Street. It's a shop full of every kind of peanut you can possibly imagine and it's worth going just for the smell! 

Check out A. Schwab. It was once a five and dime but it's now this really odd sort of Cabinet of Curiosities--lots of weird novelty items. 

The only other thing I can think of is that you should go see the ducks at the Peabody Hotel. It's a very touristy thing to do for Memphis, but where else are you going to watch a bunch of ducks parade through the lobby of a hotel?

1. Peanut Shoppe Main Street (restaurant)
  2. A. Schwab (attraction)
  3. Peabody Hotel (hotel)