Lita

Memphis

Best BBQ in Memphis?

Coming to Memphis for the Hip Hop Weekend and I'm staying a couple extra days to take advantage of the city's offerings.  What I would really like to try is some real deal BBQ.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  

By the way, thought I want to try Memphis BBQ, I'm also down to try any other food that Memphis is known for, so suggestions for that would be great, too!

Keith from Denver

I don't know what Hip Hop Weekend is, but I know my Memphis BBQ!  When I used to live in Memphis, BBQ joints held a special place in my heart because they were where you could find me on my cheat days.  So yeah, I know them well :)  Anyways, here are some of my favorites:

• The BarBQ Shop: You can order anything here and it's guaranteed to be good.  If you want something special, try BBQ spaghetti.
  • Central BBQ: There are three locations.  The newer one on Butler is the most spacious one.  Do the pulled pork, ribs, and nachos.  Their homemade kettle chips are so good.
  • Cozy Corner Restaurant:  Have to get the ribs.
  • Payne's Bar-B-Q: Do the chopped pork sandwich with a side of baked beans.  The mustard slaw on the sandwich is out this world.
  • Rendezvous Charles Vergos: Again, ribs.
  • Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ: Order these three things: ribs, baked beans, and BBQ spaghetti.
  • Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken: this isn't a BBQ place, but I'm throwing in this place because they have amazing fried chicken and everyone needs to try it!

I got hungry just writing this.

1. Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (restaurant)
  2. Payne's Bar-B-Q (restaurant)
  3. Cozy Corner Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Central BBQ (restaurant)
  5. The BarBQ Shop (restaurant)
  6. Rendezvous Charles Vergos (restaurant)
  7. Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ (restaurant)

Andrew from Minneapolis

You have to go to Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis for barbecue spaghetti – it's a Memphis specialty.  And FYI, Charlie Vergos Rendezvous serves charcoal-broiled ribs that are dry rubbed and based with vinegar that are touted as the best in Memphis.

1. Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis (restaurant)
  2. Charlie Vergos Rendezvous (restaurant)

Scott from Memphis

Recommendations all depend on what you are going to order.

Here are some suggestions  Central BBQ (multiple locations)  Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis  Germantown Commissary 

1. Central BBQ (restaurant)
  2. Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis (restaurant)
  3. Germantown Commissary (restaurant)