Lita

Lita from Los Angeles asked

Best BBQ in Memphis?

Coming to Memphis for the Hip Hop Weekend and I'm staying a couple extra days to take advantage of the city's offerings.  What I would really like to try is some real deal BBQ.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  

By the way, thought I want to try Memphis BBQ, I'm also down to try any other food that Memphis is known for, so suggestions for that would be great, too!

Memphis

Keith from Denver

I don't know what Hip Hop Weekend is, but I know my Memphis BBQ!  When I used to live in Memphis, BBQ joints held a special place in my heart because they were where you could find me on my cheat days.  So yeah, I know them well :)  Anyways, here are some of my favorites:

• The BarBQ Shop: You can order anything here and it's guaranteed to be good.  If you want something special, try BBQ spaghetti.
  • Central BBQ: There are three locations.  The newer one on Butler is the most spacious one.  Do the pulled pork, ribs, and nachos.  Their homemade kettle chips are so good.
  • Cozy Corner Restaurant:  Have to get the ribs.
  • Payne's Bar-B-Q: Do the chopped pork sandwich with a side of baked beans.  The mustard slaw on the sandwich is out this world.
  • Rendezvous Charles Vergos: Again, ribs.
  • Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ: Order these three things: ribs, baked beans, and BBQ spaghetti.
  • Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken: this isn't a BBQ place, but I'm throwing in this place because they have amazing fried chicken and everyone needs to try it!

I got hungry just writing this.

Lita
Wow, awesome. I'm getting hungry, too! I don't know what BBQ spaghetti is but it sounds like something I have to try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lance
This answer is spot on. In downtown you can take the trolley line to get to the south main historic arts district where central bbq has a new location, or take it along Madison Avenue to its end and walk a short bit to get to the BBQ Shop. And of course Rendezvous is downtown.

Keith
Yes, Lita, you'll have to try that BBQ spaghetti. It's definitely a Memphis treat! Thanks, Lance! Good suggestion on the trolley. Definitely the way to go.

1. The BarBQ Shop (restaurant)
  2. Central BBQ (restaurant)
  3. Cozy Corner Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Payne's Bar-B-Q (restaurant)
  5. Rendezvous Charles Vergos (restaurant)
  6. Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ (restaurant)
  7. Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (restaurant)
Andrew from Minneapolis

You have to go to Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis for barbecue spaghetti – it's a Memphis specialty.  And FYI, Charlie Vergos Rendezvous serves charcoal-broiled ribs that are dry rubbed and based with vinegar that are touted as the best in Memphis.

Scott from Memphis

Recommendations all depend on what you are going to order.

Here are some suggestions  Central BBQ (multiple locations)  Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis  Germantown Commissary 

1. Central BBQ (restaurant)
  2. Bar-B-Que Shop, Memphis (restaurant)
  3. Germantown Commissary (restaurant)