Jennifer
Adelaide, South Australia

Jennifer from Adelaide, South Australia asked

5 days to drive from Atlanta to Memphis

We have 5 days to drive from Atlanta to Memphis. Do you think we can drive to Charleston/Savannah and back again or should we work out an itinerary of things to do closer to Atlanta/Memphis?

Atlanta (Georgia) Memphis (Tennessee)

Claire from Fort Worth, Texas

I would go to AtlantaChattanooga ,Nashville and Memphisin that order.     Each city has neat attractions and  it is only 2 1/2 hours from Chattanooga to Nashville and about 4 from Nashville to Chattanooga.  Take time to drive north in I-65 to take a cave tour at Mammoth Cave National Parkwhich is the world's longest cave It is about 1 1/2 hours from Nashville to MCNP

1. Atlanta (city)
  2. Chattanooga (city)
  3. Nashville (city)
  4. Memphis (city)
  5. Mammoth Cave National Park (park)
Miriam from New Jersey

This is a hard question. It depends on how busy you want to be because you are going in the opposite direction. I would definitely do Chattanooga. It is only an hour from Atlanta & Georgia Aquarium is great there. Savannah & Charleston are very similar. The main difference is that there is a lot to see nearby Savannah. I prefer to stay on Hilton Head Island which is 45 minutes from Savannah. Beaufort is also close to Savannah and worth seeing. 

1. Chattanooga (city)
  2. Atlanta (city)
  3. Georgia Aquarium (attraction)
  4. Savannah (city)
  5. Charleston (city)
  6. Hilton Head Island (city)
  7. Beaufort (city)
rich from Athens, GA

I would probably not go to Charleston or Savannah.  You are going to spend a large part of your time driving and the drive isn't particularly interesting.  One other possibility that isn't too far out of the way is Asheville which is a great town.

1. Charleston (city)
  2. Savannah (city)
  3. Asheville (city)
Lala from Memphis

I agree with Wynne. Chattanooga and Nashville. Franklin is an interesting small town southwest of Nashville, basically a suburb of 

Nashville. and a good place to stay in the area. www.visitfranklin.com In Chattanooga the area near the aquarium is a perfect place to stay and walkable to many interesting places. There are many hotels and restaurants in area and a free shuttle bus to other areas of interest. You might like to check www.downtownchattanooga.org Have a grand trip!!!

1. Chattanooga (city)
  2. Nashville (city)
Wynn from Atlanta

I would not do Charleston (West Virginia) in this amount of time. I recommend Chattanooga and Nashville on your way to Memphis and whatever looks interesting to you along that route. Chattanooga has a wonderful aquarium and a lovely river front park, with many great restaurants downtown. You could spend a day here and drive to Nashville in the evening. You can easily spend 2 days in Nashville before heading to Memphis.

John from Chicago

5 days seems like plenty of time to explore further, so I think you should hit the coast along Savannah and Charleston. It's only really a 2-day drive normally from Atlanta to Memphis, so assuming you're flying into Atlanta, you can head to the coast and maybe even check out Myrtle Beach.

Or depending on what you're looking for, if you stick closer to the main route, maybe detour up to Nashville?

1. Savannah (city)
  2. Charleston (city)
  3. Atlanta (city)
  4. Memphis (city)
  5. Myrtle Beach (city)
  6. Nashville (city)