Sarah

Sarah from New York City asked

Memorial Day Long Weekend Trip from NYC? Where should we go?

Looking for trip ideas for a couple over Memorial Day weekend. I live in NYC, so ideally somewhere out and away from the city. 

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

Hudson River Valley Greenway - mansions, hiking

Howe Caverns near Schoharie, NY

Cape May, NJ (unless it was damaged too much by Sandy)

Lenox, MA area - mansions, theater, music, hiking, museums

Hartford, CT - Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Harriet Beecher Stowe Center and The Mark Twain House & Museum, river cruise in CT, lots of nature hiking

Boston

Colleen from Brooklyn

If you wanna head north, I love Hudson (New York) - sweet little town with great restaurants (check out Fish & Game from the Fatty Crab guys), cute antiques shops and a pretty waterfront. Then of course there's Woodstock (New York).

Spencer from Los Angeles

Back in the day, my sis and I did a fun train trip north from NYC. Stopped in Hyde Park and had lunch at The Culinary Institute of America before continuing up further north to the small charming town of Rhinebeck. Also a cool little brewery there In Hyde Park, Hyde Park Brewing Company.  

Also, I second the comment below about Cape May. It IS the Jersey Shore, but it's the awesome Jersey Shore. I've been up and down beach towns on the east coast and Cape May is one of my favorites. Just a really charming beach town, big beaches, good restaurants. 

Nars from Boston

I live in Boston so I always recommend it. Here are some things you can do in Boston:

http://www.ruebarue.com/boston/

1. Boston (city)
Missy from Newport

Hi, Newport, RI is a 3 hour drive from New York City, and is a terrific location to visit for a 3 day weekend, and there are always special events happening in Newport, as tourism is what supports the economy.  Check this website for special events on Memorial Day Weekend:  http://www.discovernewport.org/events-calendar.  In between visiting Mansions, from the Gilded Age, visiting Colonial homes and public buildings, the Newport Museum in the old Customs House, Newport Harbor with the many luxury yachts, restaurants and shops, and the numerous beaches, there is plenty to do in Newport for a 3 day weekend.  

1. Newport (city)
  2. New York City (city)