Tandy
Miami

Melbourne

What are the best wineries in or near Melbourne?

I hear that the wine in the Melbourne area is really good, so I definitely want to do some wine testing when I'm there! What are the best wineries? I'm also open to other wineries in nearby cities (willing to drive 2-3 hours). Thanks!

Chris from Melbourne

There are Wine districts in every direction usually a day trip can cover some of the better wineries in each district. www.visitmelbourne.com

The Yarra Valley is the premier wine destination 1-3 hours from the city center.

I live closer to the Mornington Peninsula and can recommend some great Red Hill wineries I've personally been to on several occasions, which are about 2-3 hours from the city center.

www.morningtonpeninsulawineries.com.au

Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove

Tuck's Ridge

Red Hill Estate

Some of the other districts are more regional and probably aren't able to be covered in a day trip.

All the best on your trip!

1. Yarra Valley (region)
  2. Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove (restaurant)
  3. Tuck's Ridge (restaurant)
  4. Red Hill Estate (attraction)

Alica from Australia

If you take the touring route from Geelong to Torquay to Anglesea. Along this gateway to the Great Ocean Rd you will find golf courses, surf beaches and wineries. Take the Surf Coast Highway to Torquay is famous for Bells Beach (host of the annual Rip Curl Pro) and Jan Juc. The beaches around Torquay are excellent and you can all try out the various walk sections of the Surf Coast Walk from Jan Juc to Aireys Inlet. Campervan rental will make this road trip easy! On this route, you can experience a best wineries.

1. Geelong (city)
  2. Torquay (city)
  3. Anglesea (city)
  4. Great Ocean Rd (attraction)
  5. Bells Beach (attraction)
  6. Jan Juc (city)
  7. Aireys Inlet (city)

Michelle from Melbourne

There are probably two regions I'd suggest for you that are close to Melbourne and have a large number of cellar doors. The first is the Yarra Valley and the second is the Mornington Peninsula. If you had a designated driver you could easily do these justice with a couple of day tours. A beautiful spot in the Yarra Valley is the Domaine Chandon winery which has a spectacular vaulted room and, on the Mornington Peninsula I'd recommend Ten Minutes by Tractor Wine Co and Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove which does some lovely picnics for lunch. Another good winery that's very close to Melbourne is Shadowfax Wines - they have a restaurant there as well and it's supposed to be quite good. I certainly enjoy their wines! 

There are also a number of companies here who specialise in wine tours if you'd rather leave it to someone else to ferry you around. This one: http://www.winetours.com.au/ offers tours to the main wine areas within an hour, hour and a half's drive of the city.

1. Yarra Valley (region)
  2. Mornington Peninsula (attraction)
  3. Domaine Chandon (restaurant)
  4. Ten Minutes by Tractor Wine Co (restaurant)
  5. Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove (restaurant)
  6. Shadowfax Wines (restaurant)

Nicole

There are two main regions close by to Melbourne that are popular - the Yarra Valley and the MorningtonPeninsula.  Although I live close to the Yarra Valley I prefer the Mornington Peninsula because of their Pinot Noirs.  Both areas have great wineries with cellar doors and a range of restaurants to visit.  Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove in Mornington Peninsula have a nice outdoor casual dining experience if you are coming when the weather is warm. 

1. Yarra Valley (region)
  2. Mornington (city)
  3. Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove (restaurant)

sahil from Chandigarh

1. Stones Of The Yarra Valley (restaurant)

brock from Melbourne

Stones Of The Yarra Valley is one of the best wineries, within 2 hour drive from Melbourne.

Johnatas from Melbourne

check the best places on visitmelbourne.com