Petra
Blenheim

Melbourne

Tips for 2 days in September for foodies in Melbourne?

Hi there, we are coming for 2 days in September (12.-14.9. ) with my partner, young couple originally from Europe, we don't like crowded places (with one exception food markets :-), budget I would say normal for young working couple, we are not looking  for too much expensive places and entertainment but on the other hand, the budget is not so limited...love good food and coffee, so I would like to ask local:

1)any special events which you would like to recommend for these September days?

2) foodies tips (especially new trends places or local food specialties)

3) really special places - something which is really unique, fun, entertaining? Insider tips (nothing like touristic places from travel guides)?

Thanx a lot Petra

Craig

Melbourne has a vibrant café culture and you can find great food almost anywhere now. I suggest that you might like to sample the best of the southern beach suburbs. A unique Melbourne phenomena is that every Saturday and Sunday between 5,000 and 10,000 cycling enthusiasts ride along Beach Road which goes 40 kilometres down the coast from the city centre to the suburb of Frankston. Parking is banned from 6am to 10am to make the ride safer. At the halfway point (20 kilometres) is my favourite beachside suburb of Black Rock where 14 restaurants and cafes are partly supported by the weekend influx of hungry cyclists. That also creates a lively colourful atmosphere. I have tried all the cafes and the best in Black Rock are Uncle Bart’s (café) (open till 4 pm) and Clover (Thai – BYO - lunch or dinner). Other classic cafes right on the beach are North Point Café at North Road, Brighton (about 12 kms from the city) and Rickett’s Point Tea House in Beaumaris (about 24 kms from the city). Combine a visit to any of these cafes with a lovely walk along the beach and you are likely to see pelicans, swans and five or six other types of sea birds. Great meals are $12 to $25 and coffee is $3.50 to $5.00.

1. Melbourne (attraction)
  2. Frankston (attraction)
  3. Black Rock (attraction)
  4. Brighton (attraction)
  5. Beaumaris (attraction)