Short trip to Melbourne

Hi everyone. We are from Malaysia and this is going to be our frst trip to Melbourne. There will be 3 adults, 1 toddler(age 3) and 1 infant(age 1). 

We will reach Melbourne airport on 10th 8.20am. Flying back to Malaysia on 14th 12.05am midnight. 

Accomodation: City Tempo. Renting a car from day 2 to day 4. I have already sent an inquiry to the apartment on the car park reservation for 2 nights. We are quite nervous to drive in the city as there are many reviews said driving in melbourne is 'nothing' like in asian countries 🤔. It is very strict and there are many rules that we need to comply to. Any tips or things that we need to remember when we are there? Well basically we will not be driving much IN the city, it is only to philip island on day 2, GOR on day 3, puffing billy and brighton beach both on day 4. 

Which then brings me to the next question: does my tentative looks too ambitious?😅. Here's what I have planned: 

Day 1 wednesday 

Tour around the city like hoping on the city circle tram. 

MVC 

Federation square 

Flinders street station 

St Cathedral 

Yarra river 

Hosier Lane 

NGV 

Eureka skydeck OR visit melbourne university instead. 

Too bad vic market is closed on this day.😩 

Day 2 

Collect our car and drive to phillip island 

Maru koala park 

Churchill island 

The nobbies 

Koala convention centre 

Penguin parade 

Day 3 

Drive to GOR 

I have not studied about the stops that we can go along GOR. 

Day 4 

Vic Market 

DFO 

Puffing billy train 

Brighton beach 

Return car and head back to Malaysia. 

I would love to hear feedbacks and suggestions from you guys. 

Thanks in advance!

Melbourne (Australia)

Claudia from New York City

That's quite a hectic schedule especially with a toddler and a baby in tow. You will have to deal with the time difference too. Melbourne is 2 hours ahead of Kuala Lumpur, and for kids the 2 hour difference is quite significant when it comes to naptime and bedtime.

I like Sharon's suggestions of taking the circle tram in the city. I would choose guided bus tours from Melbourne to Phillip Island and Puffing Billy Railway. I've done both guided bus tours from Melbourne, freeing me from the hassle of looking for directions and worrying about getting lost.

You may want to take a look at these tours offered by Viator:

Phillip Island: https://www.viator.com/Melbourne-attractions/Phillip-Island/d384-a404

Puffing Billy: https://www.viator.com/Melbourne-attractions/Puffing-Billy-Railway/d384-a58

Hope these help.

1. Melbourne (city)
  2. Puffing Billy Railway (attraction)
Sharon

I have traveled to Melbourne quite a number of times and will try to answer the best I can.

Using the circle tram is a great way to see the city.  Make sure you walk the lanes and byways.

I'm not sure that renting a car is the best way to do some of the experiences.  The GOR trip takes about 11 1/2 hours and is a long day and that is why many people do it as a tour where they can enjoy the scenery and not have to focus on the road.  Another option, if you decide a car is a way to go, would be visiting the Mornington Penninsula.

If you decide to drive to Phillip Island Tours, remember that left turns in Melbourne are much different than other areas of the country.  Left turns are made from the far left lane (you are driving on the British side), even with traffic is going straight in the right lane next to you.  It's called a "fish hook" turn.  If you choose the Penguin parade, don't do the bleachers as they are packed with people, offer limited views. Do the VIP viewing.

If you choose to do the Puffin' Billy make sure you know the route well, where you can park, etc.  There is no parking accommodation at the Belgrave Station so you would have to park at Menzies CreekStation and take a shuttle back to the starting point.  If you take the train to the end of the route and place to return via the train, it's about a 5 1/2 hour trip.  

I hope some of this information is helpful.

1. Melbourne (city)
  2. Mornington (city)
  3. Phillip Island Tours (attraction)
  4. Belgrave Station (attraction)
  5. Menzies Creek (city)
Tyssen

We were there 1 day. Walked around in the city. Enjoyed the parks and museum. Got on the on/off bus. Took all 3 routes and saw a lot, and even had time to check out the restaurants on the routes to see who had a lot of clients, then went back to an awesome Thai restaurant. Also shopped at a Target to shop for warm clothing as it was getting chilly and we were heading to New Zealand

1. New Zealand (attraction)