Juliana
Las Vegas

Melbourne

Best tea and coffee spots in Melbourne?

I've heard Melbourne is notorious for good coffee. What cafes can't I miss and are there any specific drink I should try?

Anthony from Mulgrave, Victoria, Australia

Hey Juliana,

You're definitely coming to the right city if you have a love for good coffee. Over the last few years the amount of great coffee spots as exploded and there are great spots to try right throughout the CBD, inner suburbs and even outer suburbs.  Melbourne's healthy/organic scene is also taking off and most of the great coffee spots are catering for this offering a range of 'milk' options and even healther sugar alternatives (most good coffee haunts will now use panela).  Try out Almond milk coffee at Magic in South Melbourne or Chai lattes at The Merchants Guild for something different. For some great coffee spots with my favourite breakkie head to Las Chicas, Pillar of Salt, Twenty & Six Espresso, Top PaddockChez Dre, and St Ali Coffee Roasters.

Hope this helps and you are spoilt for choice when looking for a nice spot to grab a coffee and bite to eat.

Cheers,

Anth

1. South Melbourne (city)
  2. The Merchants Guild (restaurant)
  3. Las Chicas (restaurant)
  4. Pillar of Salt (restaurant)
  5. Twenty & Six Espresso (attraction)
  6. Top Paddock (restaurant)
  7. Chez Dre (restaurant)
  8. St Ali Coffee Roasters (restaurant)

Paul from Australia

Brunetti or Pellegrini's Espresso Bar further up Bourke Street are the most consistent coffee places I've found in Melbourne. I think it depends on the type of coffee you have - I don't have milk, just black so I find these two places are always good. Some places serve a black coffee too hot so there is a burnt taste, or the coffee is too bitter (I don't take sugar).

1. Brunetti (restaurant)
  2. Pellegrini's Espresso Bar (restaurant)

Adrien from Art Deco District

Juliana, I used to live close to the best typical coffee in Melbourne, you have to go there: Auction Rooms

Another good spot is the Market Lane Coffee, have a sip while you go to the market. Inside University of Melbourne they one of the best roasts in the city too. Enjoy!

1. Auction Rooms (restaurant)
  2. Market Lane Coffee (restaurant)
  3. University of Melbourne (attraction)

David from Mornington Peninsula

Melbourne is the Coffee capital of Australia there are so many coffee house, so when your here take a tour with a Tour Guide and you will not miss on an education that be worth every cent here is a few pictures of coffee houses you will visit Dukes Coffee Roasters390 Little Collins St Its a good idea to visit Carlton and remember The Melbourne International Coffee Expo 2015.

1. Dukes Coffee Roasters (attraction)
  2. 390 Little Collins St (address)
  3. Carlton (city)

Michelle from Melbourne

Hi Juliana, Melbourne is indeed a haven for coffee. If you're in the city, I'd suggest trying Little Bean Blue which has specialty blends as well as some great little snacks. Patricia Coffee Brewers is serious about quality but it's standing room only so not a place to linger over a cup. Down at Docklands, there are some fun new places Hortus 7 Seeds is right on the waterfront. It's a funky little spot with good coffee and snacks and a nice place to sit outside on a sunny day. A great fun cafe is The Boatbuilders Yard - plonk yourself down on one of the deck chairs facing the river and enjoy a good coffee, excellent snacks (particularly at breakfast) and there's also a range of good teas. Typically Melburnians go for traditional Italian-style coffee - lattes, espressos, macchiatos, but you can also find some interesting iced coffee drinks and many cafes also offer pour overs now. 

1. Little Bean Blue (restaurant)
  2. Patricia Coffee Brewers (restaurant)
  3. Hortus 7 Seeds (restaurant)
  4. The Boatbuilders Yard (restaurant)

Rachel from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I lived in Melbourne for 27 years and my favourites are definitely around Fitzroy and Collingwood. Be sure to go to Everyday Coffee, Proud Mary, Bluebird Espresso and De Clieu. This area is really hip as well with lots of street art, vintage stores and great food.

Have a great time!

1. Everyday Coffee (restaurant)
  2. Proud Mary (restaurant)
  3. Bluebird Espresso (restaurant)
  4. De Clieu (restaurant)