Rodrigo

Rodrigo from New York City asked

What is the most scenic stretch of the Mekong river?

Crossing from Chiang Mai to Laos, then traveling from north to south. which stretech of Mekong river you recommend?, which other activities where you able to do (kayaking)? Thanks!!! ( be there around March)

Mekong Delta   Laos   Vietnam   Thailand   Cambodia

If you are going all the way to the end of the Mekong River then I would recommend the Part of the river that is situated in southern Vietnam

Down there it becomes a delta and it has a very interesting cultural scene as it's a part of the river where lot's of people live and work and the river turns in to hundreds of small canals which are great to explore.

Especially the stretch between tp. Châu Đốc and Can Tho is very good.

I have been on a few trips with a small cruise ship down there called Mekong Eyes Cruise and this is really a cool way to explore the delta.

Rodrigo
Thanks so much for your answer. I see that the southest part is the most interesting. However I was thinking to take a boat up north from Laos/Cambodia... any input of the river around that area?

There is a big waterfall on the Mekong on the border between Laos and Cambodia and that part of the river is not possible to navigate. From Vientiane and south the river is used quite a bit for commercial transport of timber and I do not really know what transport for tourists there is like. In Cambodia just south of the border from Laos you have another very interesting part of the river where you still have the Mekong dolphin living and it's possible to go out and see the dolphins there.

1. Vietnam (attraction)
  2. tp. Châu Đốc (city)
  3. Can Tho (attraction)
  4. Mekong Eyes Cruise (attraction)
Hervé from Ho Chi Minh City

Can Tho or Cái Bè District for the floating markets.

1. Can Tho (attraction)
  2. Cái Bè District (attraction)