bill
Jersey City

bill from Jersey City asked

Is Medellin a safe city to visit and what area is safest to stay?

Is Medellin a safe city to visit and what area is safest/best area to stay?

Medellin (Colombia)   Colombia

Rasto from Edmonton

Yes, it is safe! Colombia is nowadays one of the safest countries in South America despite what you might have heard. Situation from the late 20. century  is not true any more except for some marginal parts of Colombia on the border with Venezuela, Choco province and southern Colombia. You will find police and army patrol everywhere to keep you safe and they are generally very friendly and willing to help.

When it comes to Medellin, I recommend to stay in El Poblado. It's very safe, trendy, and full of nice restaurants, boutiques, handcrafts (Parque Lleras).

When in Medellin, you might consider visiting nearby attractions like Guatape and Piedra del Penol, as well as Santa Fe de Antioquia

I already visited Colombia twice, it's one of my favorite countries and I intend to return there again. But just like everywhere else, use common sense and you will be more than okay.

If you want, see some of my picture collections from my trips on flickr: 

2011 Colombia Picture Collection

2013 Colombia Picture Collection

Hope this helps and I wish you a great trip!

1. Choco (attraction)
  2. Guatape (city)
  3. Santa Fe de Antioquia (city)
Daniela from Medellín, Colombia

Yes, Medellín is a safe city nowadays. There are several hotels and hostels in El Pobladoarea (near Parque Poblado Del Oeste or  lleras park) and Laureles is also a very nice neighborhood. 

1. Medellín (attraction)
  2. El Poblado (attraction)
  3. Parque Poblado Del Oeste (attraction)
  4. Laureles (attraction)
Andrea from Cartagena, Colombia

its is a safe city. you can stay at Poblado area. Very nice and you will  have lots of bars and restaurants close.